Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi -

I have a late 101 series car but it shares the door handle with some of the later GT cars....see the picture below. I think this handle is much more common on the GT cars.
Im looking for the screws that hold those handles on......does anyone kindly have a picture of the screw/fixing that holds it on? And the size/dimensions of it...??
Thanks so much
Roger

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is not original but is an M5 Raised Head countersunk pozidriv. Length 10mm. Head is diameter 9.6mm. I say M5 because bolt diameter is 4.8mm over the threads. Head fits inside the handle hole.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting that.....does the splined shaft on the door (that the handle fits on) go almost all the way through the handle? I guess it must if the screw is only 10mm long....
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
83 Posts
No the shaft doesn't go through. The screw is buried down inside the handle. I'll go out to the car and remove it to see

Okay the handle slides on so the shaft stops about 6.4mm short of the top.

And you've got me confused about the screw as it has very little "landing" to hold when it is in the handle. It's a good fit into the handle and the splines seem to be on a slight taper although hard to measure. Back side of splines in pic. 2. Front in pic 1

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah....okay! Thats one way to do it.....so the screw is really buried in there. I wonder if the original did that ? Hopefully someone will help us out here.
As you say, there isnt much for the screw to pull down on and hold the handle on.....but obviously enough...
Thanks - thats really helpful!

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
Mine is not original but is an M5 Raised Head countersunk pozidriv.
I'm not questioning that the screw shown in Andrew McCrae's picture would work, but he's right that it's not original. Here's a picture of that detail on my 105 Sprint GT. Looks like a slotted, "cheese head" screw with a flat washer under its head. I would have removed the screw to measure its length & diameter, but the armrest blocks access.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jay - thats very helpful. Thats what I thought it wouldve looked like....but guessed phillips head (not slotted). Maybe that washer also has a "sleeve" to fill in the gap between the screw and the inside of the handle....hmmm.....Much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
Maybe that washer also has a "sleeve" to fill in the gap between the screw and the inside of the handle...
No, it's just a plain flatwasher. A phillips headed screw might be better, in that you could come at it from an angle if the armrest was in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts