Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed, ‘92 164 2.0TS 5-speed
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently replacing my driver's door (ext) handle. I just put the new one in but it seems that the rod that uses the lock lever is too short. There's about 1/2 inch movement before the rod starts pushing the lever. Both the old rod and the new rod that came with the handle are identical so it doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm suspecting the clip on the lever has broken. What should that look like?

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Is new handle a L/R handle with PS ID lettering or correct L/F with AS ID lettering? Also, like you say maybe that white Nylon spacer in lever that long rod fits into is broken or missing. See white spacer in lever in left of picture. Correct AS handle has longer arm than PS rear handle.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to change left rear as well and got the handles side by side. The one with longer rod went to front door and short rodded is still to go.

It looked the same as the one that came out. Though I cannot be sure that the original was correct. However, it seems to be otherwise okay. The rods were identical.

There is a nylon clip on the lever, and it looks the same as with my spare lock (one side is shorter than the others). It sure looks a bit shorter than in the picture but not much.

·
Premium Member
16,706 Posts
As Steve says, you can check for the proper handle for each corner of the car by seeing the location code on the inside of those outer handles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to check those. Photos to follow later…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts