Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea from what material the exterior door handles of a 1973 2000 GTV are made?

I am investigating whether they can be rechromed but I will need to know the material first.

I would also like to know the material of the forward quarter window hinges and the water channels at their bottom.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
The door handles are a zink alloy, what we call "pot metal". Lots of impurities which oxidise and erupt. These can be rechromed, but the cost is usually high due to the many pits in the base metal which must be filled before chrome can be applied. Best to find new or good used ones.
The quarter window channels are steel and can be chromed with little effort.
The hinges are another matter as they are part steel and part 'pot metal' riveted together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,
the hinge part on the frame is also "pot metal".
The screw at the window and the hinge part behind is brass.
Also the water channel at the bottom is brass.
The brass parts can be rechromed easily.

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
I went through a similar exercise last year. With about a dozen sets of door handles I figured I could get a great deal on rechroming at one of a number of platers in my area. It was cheaper to buy new then the best price I could get...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
New ones are readily available and are the way to go. I ordered a pair last year. Didn't like the way one looked. Sent it back. Got another. Perfect chrome (for now) and the mechanism works like new... because it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts