Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I seem to recall a post pertaining to the chrome inserts that embed within the Montreal door handle.

I have cut out a pattern based upon the old chrome strip and triangular section, and cut out the geometry with a foil paper. While an improvement over the old ripped chrome insert, it is not up to the standard. Since the substrate beneath it is not perfectly flat, the imperfections on the surface show through. Stated simply, I need a thicker metal sheet.

Does anyone know where these can be procured as an aluminum insert, pre-made? Or is there a pattern template available that may offer an improvement over my own?

Any guidance welcomed.

Jamison

·
Registered
55 Posts
The plastic chrome strips can be easily procured as standard footware in the required width in online sales platforms, albeit convex rather than concave, as in the originals (which makes no difference to the onlooker). For this advice, again, Bruce Taylor’s „Companion“ deserves the credit. We did my car with them, it looks as just as tacky as the originals (forgive the blasphemy everybody). My triangular sections were alright, so no need to change them. If they are missing my suggestion would be cutouts from thin stainless steel sheets polished to high gloss.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Giorgio Penatti made reproduction triangular sections. I have not heard from him in a couple of years -not sure of his status. He is/was a great supplier of Montreal parts. [email protected]

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is someone able to post a photo of the correct appearance of the interior door handle? I'm a new Montreal owner and believe I have two half correct inserts (missing the triangular sections.) It's very hard to find a good photo on cars that come up on BaT - and I'm still waiting on a copy of Bruce Taylor's book to arrive from Germany to see if one is in there. Appreciate any help. Lot's of questions now that I have the car in the flesh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In car in pics 20 & 21 here:

separate from car, and corroded, here (don‘t buy!)

Close ups of both types of inserts on Bruce Taylor’s website under the section „Internal Trim“, second bullet point, on:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Are you talking about the trapezoid-shaped pieces which are missing in the above photo? I am missing one and plan on cutting aluminum and adding chrome paint. If you need one I can make an extra. If you are talking about the long, concave plastic I would be interested in where I could find this piece.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine have been home made with polished stainbless steel, looks great and will never fade (y):)
(from top to bottom, used original one, unpolished stainless sleel, polished)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic work Alain:

May I ask how (tool, technique) you created the beveled perimeter in the stainless steel?

I have attempted to use a stainless steels sheet, but without the bevel it warped and did not look any better than my current option - using stainless steel adhesive-backed wallpaper. The problem with the wallpaper option is it shows the bumps that are inherent in the actual doorrest beneath it. It looks good, but not great.

James

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried chrome appearence adhesive sheet option, did not find the aspect satisfactory...not strong nor durable either

so I have cut 2 shapes from 2 mm thick stainless steel sheet,
welded them together using only 2 spots on the reverse side (so it does not wrap),
slightly curved with a file on the visible side and then polished

1 - 9 of 9 Posts