Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best type of adhesive to attach the door window glass to the metal carriers that are attached to the regulator wire that lifts and lowers the window? I've had several suggestions including Gorilla Glue, windshield adhesive, non-primer urethane and others. What did the factory use? Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can't vouch for the best, but I used one of the Liquid Nails variants and it has held up for ~10 years and counting.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door Glass Mounting adhesive

For the future reference of other forum members, this is an answer to my own question about what adhesive to use to hold the window glass to the carriers. I ended up using Weldwood Contact Cement. It took a couple of days to set, even in our dry Arizona climate, but once it did, it seems to have really made a bond. Only time will tell, but after rebuilding the entire car from scratch, each step seems minor, so it will be no big deal if I have to re-glue it someday.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I haven't tried it on the regulators but the glue specifically made to bond the rear view mirror shoe to the glass comes to mind. I would think that contact cement would creep after time and especially in hot summer weather like AZ. I would never have thought Liquid Nails would do the job but if it's held up for 10 years it's got my vote.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Gprocket,
The glue for mounting the mirror tab to the windshield was one of my considerations, but I didn't want anything THAT permanent. Might want to remove the window someday for who knows what reason. Also, there is a gap in the fit between the glass and the clamp. I needed something with enough body to fill the void.
AlfaDavid

·
Administrator
4,144 Posts
Construction polysulphide joint sealant worked for me - comes in tubes like silicone, but sticks like **** to a blanket.

it's been doing the job on my '69 1300 GTJ for about 15 years now.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have just used some Amazing Goop for that. Seems to hold up pretty weld. It looks like it was held in by UHU glue last time.
Amazing goop dries clear, and with a razor blade, u can trim off the excess fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,631 Posts
I used the black windshield sealant/glue that comes in tubes like liquid nails. That stuff is sticky!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts