Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post is to help those who cannot get their doors to close properly no matter what they do. I've been meaning to post this for awhile now. So here you go.

The gasket is from Metro Molded; part number LP 78348. I actually found this from another member on here, but no one gave it any attention; I assume because it is after market - but who cares. There is a reason why new cars don't use hard rubber anymore. I think it was Kevin with the S2000 GTV.

Background story is my passenger door would not close no matter what (with new Alfaholics seal or original 1974 GTV seals). I would open the door all the way and slam it as hard as I frustratedly could, it was like hitting a rubber wall. But check out this video of the car after using the 78348 seal. Note how easily I closed the door as such a small distance. Imagine how nice it will close if yours is decent already.

You will need about 12' per side; this includes a little extra for oppsies. The contact is Scott Woelm at Metro Molded. His email is [email protected]; I do not get anything out of your orders. Just giving him business because he was easy to work with. Total was about $55 delivered for two pieces to do one car. Say goodbye to expensive poor fitting hard rubber!

For comparison, (Left to Right) Original 1974 seal, 78348 seal from Amazon, 78348 seal from Metro Molded themselves.

I shown two versions of the 78348 because I believe that the Amazon one is an older version that did not fit easily unless I trimmed the base to be not as wide. The newer stuff direct from manufacturer was skinner and fit in the channels as is; through some trimming maybe required depending on the tolerances of the channels.

Here you can see how I (messily) mitered the ends and super glued them together. You'll also see how easily the foam rubber compresses (right side above the vent window)

Note: Price per foot is wrong on their website
https://www.metrommp.com/?f=type_detail&ModelNumber=LP 78348&Type=Adhesive Backed Weatherstripping

Amazon.com: Metro Moulded MW 78348 SUPERsoft Multi Purpose Seal Ring: Automotive

P.S. I vote to sticky this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello

The seal on the door seems to be ok but the window has a gap.
As a control, the window must be closed. Can be adjusted but not much. The door seal must take out air and water.

Disskusion over door rubber there was already some. Compared to other car that is with our cars just badly made.

A good rubber makes it easier but since other factors still play a role. The end is just a sample which can take an hour or 3 days.

Saluti
Marcel

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't know about others, but I couldn't get the YouTube link to work. Curious to see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts