Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do flush mount speakers even exist, short of the ceiling ones?

I'm installing power window gizmos in my Alfetta GT and there is some really nice real estate where the (cheap, plastic, crap) regulators were mounted. I figured as long as I'm electrifying my doors, why not add speakers, and fairly high up - as opposed to the speakers playing to your shoes.

I'm thinking 5". Not sure why but I'm so used to hearing my main speakers coming from the rear, they'll still be the main ones, so these will be fill ins. I have (for eons) small enclosed dual speakers per side in the front. They really don't do much.

The other solution is to simply mount them behind and then have the upholstery shop spend hours punching holes in the covering to let the sound out of my new kustom door panels.

I wouldn't mind the plain, black speaker cover sticking out a tiny bit - 1/4" tops. If you've found one and it has great sound, please give me the model number.

Biba

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
. . . out of my new kustom door panels. . .
Huh? Sorry to raid your thread right at the start but . . . could you elaborate a little about these, either here, another thread, or PM. The door panels are not flat like some other models (Spiders, GTV, etc) and trying to find a good used panel or new panel with the same contour has not been easy. Any help in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dragline, since it's my thread, I have no problem with digressing from speakers. The back of the door panels are flat. I've bought waterproof door panel material and will have some of the molding pattern of the outer sections stitched in with a fairly thin foam pad underneath. I'll most likely be using the door pulls from later Alfetta GT door panels - though I'm going to cruise a Pick-A-Part to see if I can find any door pulls that are more ineresting. Obviously I'll cut the door panels to fit properly, as opposed to the original panels which shrink. No, my panels aren't for sale. I'm making a lot of modifications to my Alfetta GT, but I'm trying not to do anything that couldn't be put back to original.

This way I have no problem with cutting holes in the panel for the window switches and the speaker.

Biba

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well they are mostly flat. They are curved down their length where they meet the very top of the door. At least the ones I took off my Alfetta are. There is also a contoured pocket for the door lock pull rod to come through, between the panel and the interior metal door skin. At least that's my view. Would you care to divulge the source of the waterproof panel?
Thanks.
Gerry

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gerry, I get them at an automotive upholstery wholesaler. I have no idea how large Eastlake is, but if there are a lot of automotive upholstery shops there, there will be a wholesaler. Call first to make sure that they'll sell to you. I'll show you the bare panel once I have it cut out.

Biba

·
Registered
410 Posts
Biba,
You might try the Crutchfield web site. You can "window shop" just about every speaker made. Even if you don't buy from them, you can narrow your choices.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
73gtv, thanks, I did go on Crutchfield's site and agree that they are a great resource. I did end up getting a pair of JL 5.25" speakers from another seller and must admit I'm not too knocked out about them - not to mention the grill sticks out (because of the center tweeter) too far for my taste. They came highly recommended, so perhaps it's just my ears or the placement isn't ideal. I'll include a photo once I get everything installed inside the door. It's gone from nothing but glass inside the door, to electric windows, speakers, and (not installed yet) electric mirrors, and sound deadening.

If you or anyone has a good choice of 6.25" speakers - with very subtle covers - I'd be interested in receiving suggestions. They'll be mounted in the far rear Alfetta GT side panels and face up. Actually, I have a pair of 'decent' speakers back there and they overwhelm the front 5.25" speakers so much that I have to crank up the volume on the fronts to even be able to hear them. Or could be the receiver.

Biba

·
Registered
410 Posts
I used Kenwood KFC X168 in my wife's Honda to replace the factory speakers. They're 61/2" 2-ways and I'm very happy with them. Have black metal mesh grilles that, although I didn't use them, appear like they would be very unobtrusive. It seems like most of the grilles are pretty garish. For the customizer market I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts