Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been doing some research on door fit and I know they can require a lot of work but am wondering if these are in the general range of being able to aligned without loosing one's mind.

I've likely got fender fit issues to deal with, but any comments on these please?

Passenger side - looks like the whole door is slightly too low.

Driver side -

·
Registered
715 Posts
Door alignment

Ciao Tdskip,

Below is some useful info from a fellow BB'er which plagiarized for my own reference!
Before you do any alignment you should refurbish the hinges. Kits are available from the usual suppliers.

"Aligning the doors is not simple. There are several ways you can adjust the doors.

The hinges in the doors can be moved up and down and left and right, after loosing the bolts. The same applies to the striker plates. This allows to
- move the door up and down
- to the left and right
- rotating the door in the length axis of the car

Besides this you can also add washers between the hinges and the body. Here there are several options:
- by putting washers on all bolts of the hinges, you can move the door backward.
- by putting only washers on all bolts of the upper hinge you tilt the backside of the door upward. Similar for washers on all bolts of the lower hinge.
- by putting only washers on the inner side bolts, you move the door forward.
- by putting only washers on the outer side bolts, you move the door backward.

Similar logic applies to adding washers between the door hinges and the doors"

It would be worth trying to align the doors roughly before you cut out the sills to see if you have the correct gaps. Next important point is to weld a cross brace in the door opening before you cut out the sills!

Good luck.
Saluti
Sergio

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
This is not an alignment issue.

My guess would be that your door hinges have considerable play allowing the door to drop, OR you have found the first real bad bit of rust, ie. the lower door hinge area has rusted out ... been there done that and I feel sorry for you.

Hoping it's the hinge wear.
Pete

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, let me (being perhaps unreasonably hopeful) play with the vertical location kf th door to see if that it is. I need to check and see how tight the door bottoms are with the rockers.

I don't think these doors are from this car originally so maybe they were just not installed with an eye in fit. Or, maybe everything is off due to all of the PO's patching and welding.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this was officially bugging me so I skipped making espresso (temporarily of course, let's not get carried away) and spent some time staring at the door fit. Turns out these doors are from a differnent car based on paint being different and they are fitted at what appears to be the very bottom of their vertical adjustment.

Both sides door bottoms are nearly touching the rockers with a consistent but tiny gap. The front fender top gap, where the door opening tucks under the top rear most part of the front fender, is currently too low by the same amount as the the rear.

This would appear to be better news that what it could of been, but of course I won't know for sure until the shell is fully down to bare metal.

Now - off to make a strong espresso. Or two.

·
Administrator
12,561 Posts
Okay after viewing your other photos I can see that the whole door is dropped and is still parallel to the sill/rocker ... so you might be lucky :)
Pete

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay after viewing your other photos I can see that the whole door is dropped and is still parallel to the sill/rocker ... so you might be lucky :)
Pete
Hi Pete, I think so but it took me a while to figure that out. Fingers crossed as I have plenty of other things to worry about.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts