Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I am working on restoration of my 1969 1750 spider veloce. Having a problem with the fit on the replacement door check straps that I ordered. Seems they are too wide to fit between the roller pins on the bracket--even with the rollers not installed.
The plastic coating on the old straps fell off long ago, leaving the bare steel part. Even with the coating I don't remember them being as thick as the replacement parts. And they have a curved shape unlike the replacements that vary in thickness along their length, presumably to provide catch points at mid-open and full-open door positions.
Has anyone else had this problem? The replacement parts are supposed to be for all 105 spiders but maybe that is not quite true??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
You are right - the "replacement" straps simply don't fit / don't work.

Others will no doubt have a better solution, but I just installed the cylindrical rollers over the pins, and installed the old, plain metal strap in the mechanism. That just serves as a door check, preventing the door from opening too far. But this won't stop it from swinging shut. Not ideal, I know, but better than nothing.

You can try shaving down or sanding down the replacement part, but that would exceed my patience.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, guys. Your knowledge is appreciated.
My replacement parts are from Classic Alfa also. As the photos show though, they are not going to work.
I think I will clean up the bare metal remnants of the original parts to finish this up and then continue on to the next challenge.
Best Regards,
Jay A.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
I think I will clean up the bare metal remnants of the original parts to finish this up and then continue on to the next challenge.
After writing post #2, I recalled that I did one other thing: I pressed a short length of metal rod into the loop that serves as the stop. My concern was that the sheet metal loop would get crushed by repeated impact with the rollers when the door swung open. A section of 1/4" bolt, a piece of aluminum rod, anything solid will work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts