Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have attached a link to a photo "how to" on the door check / limit strap replacement that might help the next person in need. My research prior to performing this job showed a lot of information including some that was misleading so hopefully this will help someone.

The link above shows a more detailed procedure but here is a shortened version:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! A very nice how-to do-it with good clear photos .......
:)
I've certainly gotten my money's worth from the information provided by this forum and am happy to give back a little.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,379 Posts
You say that on electric windows the motor needs to come out. That is not correct. It is quite a fiddle but you can replace the strap without removing the motor.
Agreed. If you have little girly hands like me you can do it without removing the motor and without needing the coat-hanger trick. Not the easiest job I've done but it was manageable.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say that on electric windows the motor needs to come out. That is not correct. It is quite a fiddle but you can replace the strap without removing the motor.

Did it not too long ago

Jeroen
Thanks! As noted, I have crank windows but during my research there were quite a few references on the power Windows for motor removal for access.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good pics and info. However if you are a stubborn Italian like myself, it is not necessary to remove the window motor if so equipped. Learn how to swear in Italian and it will help a great deal!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I too have done 3 spiders with power windows in the last couple of years without removing anything else.

Reactions: Ajackb

·
Registered
605 Posts
I too have done 3 spiders with power windows in the last couple of years without removing anything else.
I assume you buy your band-aids at Costco?

Reactions: joelynbeach

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,379 Posts
You're not joking. So many cuts from that job.

·
Registered
1991 Spider Base
14 Posts
Did both of mine 2 weeks ago without removing the power window motors. The posts/pictures on this forum for the correct orientation of the new plastic strap were super helpful. My only addition was I tied a piece of 0.040" safety wire to the fixed end of the strap for both removal & install....really helped with getting more control of the wiggle. This may be what Gubi said refers to as coat hanger trick.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Did both of mine 2 weeks ago without removing the power window motors. The posts/pictures on this forum for the correct orientation of the new plastic strap were super helpful. My only addition was I tied a piece of 0.040" safety wire to the fixed end of the strap for both removal & install....really helped with getting more control of the wiggle. This may be what Gubi said refers to as coat hanger trick.
I tie a piece of string instead of wire but for the same purpose

·
Registered
47 Posts
Perfect timing, discovered two days ago my drivers side check strap was broken. I'll get one ordered now that I know the full process for replacing. Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Perfect timing, discovered two days ago my drivers side check strap was broken. I'll get one ordered now that I know the full process for replacing. Thanks very much.
Don't forget band aids and antibiotic ointment :LOL: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Thank you so much for posting these instructions! I'm just about to change the door straps on my 89 Quad and this is invaluable! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good luck, and don’t forget the bandages!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I need replace both of mine; is there a best source for the replacement straps? I seem to remember from a few years ago that there were problems mentioned with the replacement straps not wanting to pass through the rollers.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Source for parts are Classic Alfa or Centerline. if concerned, they sell the complete strap already assembled but I used the parts and only needed to shorten the rollers a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts