Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Door card installation - 1969 GTV Series 1

2903 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Seliquella
Installing the new door cards on my GTV seemed to be simple enough however......I am running into some issues with fitment.
It seems as if the door card should fit up under the chrome trim strip that runs across the top of the interior of the door. Try as I might I am unable to get them to slide up into the groove. Consequently, once I installed the driver's side door card (with the top as far under the trim strip as I could reasonably force it) I was unable to close the door as the bottom of the card hit the newly installed rubber door seal. To solve that issue I taped down the seal with duct tape which allowed me to close the door.
Am I missing something obvious here or should I plan on waiting for the door seal to eventually flatten out enough to work?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
without pix hard to tell, best guess is the new card has foam to the top of the card, as originally manufactured the foam would have been cut short along the top so the covered card would fit in the slot.
I overcame that issue by stopping short with the foam on the front side and by putting a chamfer on the 4mm Masonite that I used.
This is exactly what I was doing today too, but my doors are closing the same as if the door panels were not installed. If you look at both vertical sides and the bottom of the doors you will see a concave depression, that is the spot that meets the seal. If your door cards or panels are extending into that sealing area, the seal is now seating against the door card creating maybe 1/4" of interference. If your panels are home made like mine you could lift up the vinyl ends and trim back the board, if they were bought from a vendor I would make sure they are centered properly, also the top of the panels fit about 3/8" or about 10mm into the top stainless trim. If all looks like it was installed correctly a friendly phone call to the vendor might be in order. Good luck. Peter.
I am still adjusting new door cards for my 67. Many problems documented elsewhere, see Vendor issues folder = LINK.
1. Foam goes up to the top preventing them from going in under the stainless top cap far enough.
2. The shoulders at the top are too wide preventing them from going in far enough under the stainless cap.

When you solve that. . .

3. They are too wide and need to be cut down.
4. They are too tall and need to be cut down.

Aside form all that and 5 hours of work and $200 out - so far - they are fine. I have appraised the vendor and gotten muddling answers that the vendor (commonly supplied to many vendors) does not know about this but more stories are coming to light to them.
They are too tall.

I've been moaning about this for quite a while now (there's another thread on here about this) but they (the suppliers) just keep selling them....

I refuse to buy them anymore.
Thanks to all for the feedback. Glad???? to see I am not the only one. Perhaps the answer is to carefully peel back the vinyl at the top of the door card and trim back the foam. Not something I really want to do to something that should fit "out of the box" however my options appear to be limited at this point.
On the 67 style at least, it's a lot more than just the foam. And there are short staples that I can't find and the piping on 3 sides to contend with. Good luck.
When I did my '67 a while back, I sourced 4mm staples and a Stanley staple gun in the U.K. Can't remember where I got them but just did a quick google search and saw that they are still available from several suppliers one being Amazon UK (different brand).
G
For the passenger side I peeled back the vinyl, cutback the foam along the top by 1/2 ", trimmed about a 1/4' of each of the top corners and attempted to refit.... no success.
I then removed the piping from around the panel, and using a rubber mallet carefully tapped the bottom of the door card so that it slid into the chrome strip a bit further. The door now closes as it should. Way to much fiddling for something that should be so simple.
One more note....to re-attach the vinyl I used a 1/4' T-50 staple. The staple and staple gun were already in my possession however I know that they can be purchased from Home Depot/Lowes, etc.
I'm currently in door card hell, with the same issues as above.

I now have three sets of door cards:

1. Light brown ones - GT Junior style - that are new and were installed on the car in Italy, but now the interior is all black. These do appear to fit well, but they would need to be painted with vinyl paint before I used them.

2. Black ones - GT Junior style - that are new and have way too much foam at the top to fit inside the channel. If I was going to use these, I would have to remove the staples, trim the foam, and replace the staples or maybe use a glue gun to reattach the foam. Having said that, the foam is quite puffy at the top and there's some at the bottom, too. It's certainly more foam than the light brown door cards have.

3. Black ones - GTV 2000 style - that are new and seem to fit well, but I am using the GT Junior style armrests, and I think these armrests would look out of place on these. I prefer the GT Junior style plain door panels, and I'd rather not go through the trouble of sourcing the GTV style armrests and mounting hardware.

Any recommendations? Thanks, Scott

See less See more
The original door cards were beveled 13mm at the top nor did the foam not run all the way to the upper edge of the door card....there is just not enough room under the stainless trim to accommodate that excess material. The fix is rather easy....bevel the upper edge and taper feather edge the foam down at the top as well.

See less See more
Reactions: 1
Thanks. How did you re-attach the vinyl? Staple or glue?

Scott
...Thanks. How did you re-attach the vinyl? Staple or glue?
Scott
In my case....I used Cyanoacrylate glue because I built my door card using white glass fibre board. In your case and assuming that the backing board is made of compressed paper.....staples will be your method.
In my case....I used Cyanoacrylate glue because I built my door card using white glass fibre board. In your case and assuming that the backing board is made of compressed paper.....staples will be your method.
Thanks for the details.

Scott
I had to cut the cord on the outer edge shorter as it did not fit under the stainless trim.
I have the middel black ones on the picture above.
I also installed the door seals this weekend, I had to "smash" the door in order to get it to shut properly.
The door card is just too thick, so I decided to cut the bottom part of the seal out, still a tight fit but at least I can close the door when I sit in the driver seat.
Will put some additional seal in when I bump into a suitable one.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts