Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the thread about the stolen keys saga and how this was solved. My dilemma, albeit a small one, all things considered, I have key that fits one cylinder on drivers side. But the passenger side door and hatch won't work. There is a key code on the key, is it possible to get cylinders made from this? I have extra cylinders/tumblers, that could be re keyed.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Could it be that the drivers side wore out first or was damaged from use and was replaced at some point? That might leave you (or the previous owner) with two keys - one for the drivers door and one for the passenger door and hatch? And then that key was lost?

Does the key fit in the other door and hatch and doesn't turn, or does it not fit in the key hole at all?

If the cylinder can be removed from the door and the hatch, they can be re-tumbled (?) to the key. The code, I think, is more for cutting a new key. The guy that worked on my car said it was not hard to do and did it for me once. The next time I needed something like that done, he wasn't around and I went to a local locksmith. An old shop that had been around for decades and had a good reputation for old stuff. He said he could do it, but he didn't have any spare parts since he hadn't done it in a very long time, so if he needed a pin of a different size, he'd be stuck.

So if you have spares to play around with, you can give it a go, or find an ol' time locksmith and show him your extra parts. I do not know how to get the cylinders out of the handles and hatch on the Alfettas or GTV6, though. I did mine in a 74 GTV and for that the key has to be able to turn and then you can get the cylinder out once a pin behind the handle is popped out.

Hope that is enough info to get you started.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Hi there, have you tried a little spray of lubricant in the non working tumblers? Once the key is pushed in fully, also try pulling it out a tiny bit, like .020”. Failing all that, take your hatch latch out, separate out the lock cylinder and send it to AC lock in California, then just hope the hatch and pass door are the same key..... :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
On a GTV6 door handle, the lock cylinders are secured to the base by two swaged metal studs. I doubt the swaged heads could be undone and still have enough extra metal to re-swage it back in place. So, offering the entire handle to a proper locksmith to play with the lock cylinder may be the best route.

I had a few handles that had the swaged heads snapped off from usage. To try an rescue a couple that only required reattaching the two separate parts, I managed to come up with a way to do that, replacing the brittle pot metal studs with similar diameter screws. Not an easy fix, as it meant drilling out the studs thru to the exterior surface, then carefully creating a countersink on the outside for the angled screw heads to flush into. A drop of Super Glue on each to help prevent the head from spinning when the nuts went on. Then some Bondo to hide the screw heads, sand, and mask the area for some satin black paint. Much stronger than the swaged studs... but more work than you'd want to do on a regular basis.

Since complete working door handles seem to be going for $150+, I went to the extra trouble to rescue a couple of them.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be that the drivers side wore out first or was damaged from use and was replaced at some point? That might leave you (or the previous owner) with two keys - one for the drivers door and one for the passenger door and hatch? And then that key was lost?

Does the key fit in the other door and hatch and doesn't turn, or does it not fit in the key hole at all?

If the cylinder can be removed from the door and the hatch, they can be re-tumbled (?) to the key. The code, I think, is more for cutting a new key. The guy that worked on my car said it was not hard to do and did it for me once. The next time I needed something like that done, he wasn't around and I went to a local locksmith. An old shop that had been around for decades and had a good reputation for old stuff. He said he could do it, but he didn't have any spare parts since he hadn't done it in a very long time, so if he needed a pin of a different size, he'd be stuck.

So if you have spares to play around with, you can give it a go, or find an ol' time locksmith and show him your extra parts. I do not know how to get the cylinders out of the handles and hatch on the Alfettas or GTV6, though. I did mine in a 74 GTV and for that the key has to be able to turn and then you can get the cylinder out once a pin behind the handle is popped out.

Hope that is enough info to get you started.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for your replies. in one of the cylinders the key will not go in, so it could be damaged or have something stuck in it. I have acquired an extra set of door handles and hatch lock, with keys that don't all work either, I will see what i can come up with. I will get a hold of AC locksmith and see what their opinion is. In the mean time, I'll drive around with unlocked doors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts