Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
17,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, no - not the one in your wallet since high school, the one between the transmission and the driveshaft.

This was installed when I resurrect our Alfa (2006?). It was new/unused but it came with boxes of spare parts from the previous owner so I don't actually know how old it was. It could have sat on his shelf for years...

I check it (visually) each oil change. 5,000 miles ago I noticed a check (crack) in the rubber. I yanked & tugged at it and nothing fell off. I ordered a new one figuring I'd need it sooner or later. Turns out I needed it soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yowsa!! What happened when it let go?

Makes one wonder how old some of the "new" ones actually are.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Relatedly, beware NOS rubber parts on eBay -- no telling how old they are.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Glad everyone is OK those little suckers can really cause some danage if they let go at speed.

It's just plan scary..............It looks brand new other then the big chunk missing from it.

That's the problem with these aftermaket rubber parts for our Alfa's their all junk!:mad:

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
I had one let loose and lost a segment about 30 miles form home, late at night, on a busy LA freeway. It gives you a pretty good rumble. I imagine it's not so good for the bearings but they lasted quite awhile after that. Should these be on a PM schedule to replace like a Honda's (etc.) timing belt? What about the rubber reinforced Spica belt?

·
Administrator
17,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned, I don't know the actual source - I didn't buy it myself, it came with the car amongst many other new & used parts.

As for warnings, I had recently noticed a vibration/rattle in the gearshift knob. At first I thought its set screw was loose. When I found out that wasn't it I decided to check underneath (it was time for an oil change anyway).

Moral - if you see any cracks in the rubber don't delay - change the giubo. 5,000 miles ago it felt solid and I thought the crack was just superficial. Maybe at that time it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts