Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, supposedly there are no stupid questions but there are lots of inquisitive idiots and I'm afraid that this post puts me firmly amongst the mentally challenged. But I figured after contorting my body into the 164's trunk yesterday to replace the fuel level float, I'm entitled to something easy.

What do fellow 164 owners do for a cupholder?

I've tried the cheapo slide over the window ledge kind available at PepBoys and those didn't work. I've tucked the cup into the little ledge at the left side base of the passenger seat only to have it go flying at sudden stops. I've even ignored the printed warnings "Caution: The Beverage Your About to Enjoy is Extremely Hot" and tried to put the cup between my legs.... which did confirm that the beverage was, indeed, extremely hot. :eek:

On a completely unrelated note, I drove the sleek beauty up the NJ Turnpike and into midtown Manhattan last Thursday. Checked it with the hotel valet, tipped him $20 to take good care of it, explained that it's kind of fussy in first gear and to double check that the key was in his hand before turning on the security alarm. A few minutes later as I'm signing in at the front desk, the valet comes running in and says to me "Sir. Is that REALLY an Alfa Romeo? That's an Eye-Tal-Yun car, isn't it? I've never seen one like that. I just wanted to let you know I'll take real good care of it, okay?"

Next morning, I'm waiting for the car to be brought around and the garage calls back to the valet stand. I hear the guy going "Okay, okay. Yeah, okay. Got it." The new valet comes running over, tells me the car will be "right up", asks if I want to wait in the lobby instead of on the street, offers to get me a cup of coffee or a bottle of water while I'm waiting, can he watch my luggage for me, etc. At this point, I'm figuring "Oh, crap. It won't start and they're scrambling" and doing a mental check of what tools are in the trunk in case I need to do a quick diagnosis and fix. Nope. Car arrives within five minutes, happily purring in front of the hotel. I climb in with the valet AND the bellman helping me as if I'm crippled or stupid or both and I head off down Lex Ave. It's only then I notice a big piece of paper with a handwritten note on the dashboard. It says, no joke:

"VIP. Be Really Careful with This One"

Between the Italian car, my black suit, dark glasses, and the tip, I figure they thought I was a member of the "family."

I laughed all the way back down the NJ Turnpike. :D

Anyway, a little levity to share in hopes that somebody can help me with my cupholder dilemma.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
What do fellow 164 owners do for a cupholder?

I've tried the cheapo slide over the window ledge kind available at PepBoys and those didn't work. I've tucked the cup into the little ledge at the left side base of the passenger seat only to have it go flying at sudden stops. I've even ignored the printed warnings "Caution: The Beverage Your About to Enjoy is Extremely Hot" and tried to put the cup between my legs.... which did confirm that the beverage was, indeed, extremely hot. :eek:
Am I the only old fart left in the world that either drinks his coffee at home or waits until he gets to his destination for a coffee :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Arm rest up. Big cup holder at the end of the console. Just move your seat back a bit. Using it for years. I thought that's what it was for! lol.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I use the big cup holder myself.

My valet story is as follows,

On our honey moon in August of this year we went to the Coastal inn on the beach in Santa Cruz. I asked the Valet's if the lot was safe the younger valet said why you got a Bentley or something? I stated that I had an Alfa Romeo and if needed I would park it myself! So I parked it myself in the valet lot all by its self off in a corner of the lot reserved for the "high end cars" when I came out the next day to my surprise the only car near my 164 was a new Dodge Charger. Now is that a high end car?:confused:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm with you. No valet for me. I give them the tip though. I have the NOS 16" Speedline wheels as well, what size tire are you running ? Thx.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
16" NOS Speedline with F1 Goodyears. I have 4 sets of wheels for it S/Q stocks 17" OZ'S 17" Borbet wheels its like my Lego car!:D

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
CAMELPACK of course.

Look mom no hands!!

I always drink before driving! But if you have to have it on the go this is it. Just suck what you need and go. No cup holders, no grabbing for the coffee and spilling it everywhere. No distractions. lol!

it is nice to have water on long trips so I use SIGG aluminum bottles with a sip top.

They also have thermal bottles for the coffee drivers here.
As far as valets...heck no. I was a valet in College way back in the day and I know what we did. My advice stay away, far far away. I never will valet any car. Period!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I dont have any problems here, becos I dont drink coffee or anything like that. In fact I never drink anything while driving. So, I dont need to worry about spilling, but I would worry about others sitting in my car having handful of drinks (while carpooling) :EEK:, but I drive carefully untill they are finished :).

-Pavan.

·
Registered
852 Posts
But I figured after contorting my body into the 164's trunk yesterday to replace the fuel level float
Coming to this, what did you exactly do, did you fix your fuel level sender so that the fuel gauge will read almost accurate??

I am tired of my fuel guage, it never shows appropriate (forget about being near to accuracy). Even I fill it up more than half tank, it occasioanlly shows up low fuel warning light and the needle never stays at one points, always drifts slowly one way or the other unless the tank is filled to the top.

-Pavan.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Am I the only old fart left in the world that either drinks his coffee at home or waits until he gets to his destination for a coffee :D

NO I don't drink coffee in my 164 but I do TAKE WATER BOTTLES in my saddle bags. Sometimes I break down and let spouse have a coffee in car if it has a top on it.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Coming to this, what did you exactly do, did you fix your fuel level sender so that the fuel gauge will read almost accurate??

I am tired of my fuel guage, it never shows appropriate (forget about being near to accuracy). Even I fill it up more than half tank, it occasioanlly shows up low fuel warning light and the needle never stays at one points, always drifts slowly one way or the other unless the tank is filled to the top.

-Pavan.
NEW SUBJECT NEW POST PLEASE.

·
Registered
852 Posts
NEW SUBJECT NEW POST PLEASE.
Yeh, have to start a new post, but this is at present the least among my other concerns. As far as I know how much 'm putting into the tank and how far I am driving, it should be fine. But its kinda set back if you dont have a proper fuel guage especially on long trips. Will start a new post soon, probably when I start working on the car, so till then dont wanna bother you guys :).

-Pavan

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dunkin Donuts medium fits perfectly between the front left corner of the passenger's seat and the parking brake handle if you back the seat all the way up. Larges will fit but are a bit top heavy for spirited driving.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Valet parking - the last time I enjoyed this was with my previous 164 about three years ago... running a conference at an expensive Wellington hotel, the 164 disappears and when it returns, the auto shifter knob had broken off and no-one even mentioned it... :( I seem to remember pulling the T-handle off and driving all the way back to Hamilton (~350miles) squeezing the little roller on the shaft to shift D-R etc. I had problems with the button breaking ever after that...

Cupholders - McDonalds is banned in Italy, and seemingly cupholders are also banned in Italian cars, though my 2003 FIAT had a token-gesture in the form of a figure-8 shaped base in one of the holes, not big enough for cans.

I thought about fitting cruise control to my 164, but then realised that it came under the same heading as 'cupholders'. :)

One of my Italian car-fixing associates uses a 'Type-S' (riceboy) cupholder which has two spring-loaded hooks that grab onto an airvent. Seems solid enough, though I suggest a piece of furniture-foot felt to prevent scratches to the (painted on the 164) airvents. Amazon.com: Type S DH-10081-6 Vent Drink Holder, Silver: Automotive

As for me, I buy drinks named 'G-Force' or 'Gatorade' in the large squeezy bottles with the press-close cap. Then they roll around in the passenger's footwell until I need them, or until I find them four weeks later and wonder if they're still OK to drink.

-Alex

1 - 17 of 17 Posts