Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: the 88 Milano
The Interior/Dome lights come on when the ignition is switched on and also when switched off. They stay on for a minute or so.
The door open circuit works OK with the lights on for 7 seconds after the door closes. (only 2 door switches still activate)
However, if the ignition switch turns on the lights and then the door opens/closes the lights stay on for a minute or so.
I get lost in the wiring diagram but it looks like there is wiring from the ignition switch to the light control box.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You are the lucky one, when I turn my switch on the lights come on and stay on... I think there are others with the same issue, if you figure something out, please share...

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
The interior lights are controlled by the ARC computer. Mine is named HAL.

A couple of weekends ago my dash lights died. The good news is I didn't get a speeding ticket as I drove home in the dark, unable to see the speedometer. So I pulled the dash, replaced the bulbs and fixed the tach which I had been meaning to do for quite a while. The dash is really bright now. It was probably down to one bulb when I bought the car and I thought that it was normal. If it was any nother brand of car I would have thought that there was a problem, but maybe ALFA had a reason for having dim dash lights.

But after I fixed the stuff in the dash, the interior lights would not turn on. HAL was not sending a signal to the interior lights relay. This car is a Verde with a sun roof so the interior light switch is gone. It was sacrificed for the sunroof switch. I have really missed having an interior light switch, so I installed one. A few hours later I exchanged emails with a local Alfista who has just bought his first Milano. He informed me that the interior light switch is built into the lenses of the lights over the B pillar. I have owned my car for 3 years and I did not know that. I feel a fool because it is so intuitive.

So now I can turn on my interior lights. Guess what? HAL decides to start turning them on too. So I go from not being able to turn them on to having 3 different ways of turning them on. But now the heater blower won't run. After some troubleshooting I find that it has an open circuit in the ground connection. There is no way that I am going to pull the heater control panel to find it and induce another problem, so I ran an extra ground. Sort of hot wiring the ground. Only on a Milano!

I can't wait for the next electrical gremlin to surface.

Ed Prytherch

79 Spider
2 88 Verde's

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider Veloce
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Dome lights

My dome lights started to come on intermittently, doors closed.
After two jumpstarts I decided to pull the relay, the middle one, top row on the fuse panel. So no more interior lights.... my son is riding in the car playing with the light in the back...it comes on. I decide to try the front dome, it works too. BTW alfaparticle, the only reason I knew how this light worked is because my old Fiat 131 had the exact same light, sure would help if PO kept the owners manual! With out the relay the dome lights work manually but not with the door or ignition. My Alfa manual lists a "roof light timer" but I have not found it yet. I'm not convinced it's part of the ARC as I have most of mine disconnected for obvious reasons. I do however have a spare ARC so I will try that, replace the relay and see if I come back to a dead battery.

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
The roof light relay is pulled in by a green and white wire that goes to terminal 10, Connector A of HAL. When this relay closes, it makes the ground circuit to the interior lights. It is on page 40-31 of the manual. HAL is in control.
Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts