Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the home mechanic need in terms of tools to be successful with a transmission rebuild?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I just completed my living room rebuild.
You can disassemble, and assemble the trans no problem. You will need access to a press to get to a couple syncros.
The rest is straight forward. Basic tools.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Doing a Transmission Rebuild in the Living Room

I just completed my living room rebuild.
You can disassemble, and assemble the trans no problem. You will need access to a press to get to a couple syncros.
The rest is straight forward. Basic tools.
It will certainly make for some entertaining questions by guests. ;) Having said that, Pat rebuilt an engine in our bedroom. My only warning is make sure your finished project will fit out the door and down the hall, if those are considerations in your case.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
And I have problems getting the smell off of my hands after a rebuild..

Then again, you wouldn't be using hypoid gear oil I guess. ;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Doing a Transmission Rebuild in the Living Room

Wow, was that a 4 shot or a 6 shot...?
I have photos around somewhere of the yellow engine stand with the rebuilt engine on it. When they appear, I'll try and remember to scan them. This was in the early days of our marriage in our first house when Pat was computing with an Osborne using Wordstar; long before laptops so that's why he was rebuilding it in the house so that he could be near his computer and write up the procedure for one of his early books.

It was a 4 cylinder Alfa engine.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Transmission is apart...

I have successfully dismantled the transmission and need some advice on what to inspect (synchros, etc) before reassembly. From what I can tell, my '2nd gear' problem is because the rear transmission mount is shredded. I don't see any damaged teeth or edges on the gears, etc. If this is the case, are there items I should replace by default, because I have it apart...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
With the trans apart, wouldn't be a good idea to lighten second gear?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
If you're only going to do one, do first. It has the greater inertia.
Well maybe but isn't the deal that second is heavy and that's why 2nd gear syncro goes if you're not "careful." Careful meaning shifting as you should;)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Craig is right, of course. All of the gears are in constant mesh, so the synchro has to deal with the inertia of the entire rotating mass. The typical Alfa tranny has a 3.30 ratio first gear. It's great for pulling stumps, but not much else! And it weighs a ton. The close-ratio race boxes seem to be much easier on synchros, if for no other reason than that 1st and 2nd gears are a much lower numerical ratio and weigh a lot less.

Too bad there isn't any easy way to put about a 2.60 ratio 1st gear in a stock box and leave the rest alone!

Erik

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed, first and second gear are chewed-up. Time to go shopping...

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am considering the purchase of a rebuilt transmission from IAP. Thanks for the heads-up. Because it's the first transmission I have worked on, I have no gauge for what is worn or not. Now I know...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts