Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'Day All,

With the interest shown in recent threads and because I'm currently pulling an Alfetta transaxle apart for parts, I thought I would post my currently preferred method of removing the Dog Gears.

After removing the gears from the shaft.

1/ Remove the snap ring.
2/ Remove the syncro ring, retainers and guide sectors
3/ Reinstall the snap ring
4/ Place metal disk as per brass disk in photos (max o/d 49mm)
5/ Use three jaw puller as shown.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Inspection of Dog Gears

Inspection of Dog Gears.

What I look for is a nice sharp point as in No. 1 Photo 1. and a nice flat top as in No. 2 Photo 1.

Not a blunt point as in No. 1 Photo 2. or a worn top as in No. 2 Photo 2. and no broken teeth as in No 3. Photo 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll be doing this very soon.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Great pictures, thanks! Makes me feel a little better about the tranny I just buttoned up. Do you happen to know if the gears and dog gears in the Alfetta transaxles are the same as those used in 105/115 trannies? Obviously things like forks and shafts are different but maybe Alfa used some of the same internals. It would be another reason to mine a little further into those Alfettas destined for the crusher.

Bill Sinclair

·
Registered
70 Posts
Craig you mention photo 1 and photo 2 (of the close up pics of the dog teeth), I only see one photo?
It looks like only phot 2 showed up?
BTW thanks for the info and pic(s)!
Will definitely come in handy over the next few weeks....

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Excellent pictures. I understand what the dog gears should look like, but at what point of wear do the dog gears become unserviceable? Also, is it possible to grind and clean-up the teeth a bit to get some one more rebuild out of them?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
Bill S said:
Do you happen to know if the gears and dog gears in the Alfetta transaxles are the same as those used in 105/115 trannies?
Unfortunately, no the dogs from the transaxle boxes are not the same as the 105/115 series.

Joe

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doctorc said:
It looks like only phot 2 showed up?
G'Day Greg,

There should be two pics, one with two circles and one with three.

Try clicking 'refresh' while holding the shift key.

Does anyone else see only one pic?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'Day John,

Roadtrip said:
Excellent pictures. I understand what the dog gears should look like, but at what point of wear do the dog gears become unserviceable?
Define unserviceable.

Roadtrip said:
Also, is it possible to grind and clean-up the teeth a bit to get some one more rebuild out of them?
You might be able to clean then up but my feeling is that if the are too bad to use on fifth, they're probably scrap.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
"Defining unserviceable" is the point. What does an unserviceable gear look like vs. one that is salvagable or that might be dressed and reused.

And what would be the symptoms of a gearbox that was fitted with new sychros, but rather tattered dog gears were reused.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
G'Day John,

Your second question is easier to answer, symptoms include:

Reduced syncro sleeve life and difficulty engaging gears.

New syncro rings and sleeves will syncronise the speed of the gears but blunt teeth on the dog gears may prevent or inhibit the meshing of the teeth (on the dog gears and syncro sleeves). (see pic)

I rebuilt the gearbox in my TS in May '02 without doing anything about the dog gears. I have been aware of the need to go back in and re-do second for something over a year.

Don't get me wrong, the box is still good overall but second is 'knotchy' with the occasional 'grunch' when rushed. I want better.

So this time I'm collecting parts first.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Craig -- I just used your suggestion for pressing off the dog gear from second gear. It works like a charm. I used a 32mm socket instead of a brass disk with the same result (using what I had in the toolbox).

This is quite easy to do thanks to the info on the BB. Since I'm in this far, it looks like a good point in time to replace the dog gears on 1st, 2nd and 3rd, depending on what the parts cost, and also the synchro rings and selector rings. We'll see.....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
By the way, do you find the snap ring to be a royal pain in the arse to remove & reinstall? Maybe I have lousy snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Does anyone sell new dog gears without having to buy the entire gear assembly?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
Bill77 said:
Does anyone sell new dog gears without having to buy the entire gear assembly?
No, Alfa has never sold the dog gears without the main gear. I don't think there are any aftermarket manufacturers of this part.

Joe

Reactions: Bill77

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
JoeCab said:
No, Alfa has never sold the dog gears without the main gear. I don't think there are any aftermarket manufacturers of this part.

Joe
Joe -- thanks for the info. I'll look for some used 4th or 5th gears to "borrow" the dog gears.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
G'Day Bill,

Bill77 said:
By the way, do you find the snap ring to be a royal pain in the arse to remove & reinstall? Maybe I have lousy snap ring pliers.
Yep, hard to open and they flex the wrong way :(

Lousy snap ring pliers bend :eek:

Using the socket was a good idea, the disk I used was an offcut (center out of a hole saw hole) from work.

Post some pics of your dog gears if you can (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My camera won't do close-ups like yours can. My 2nd gear dogs are pretty rounded off. 3rd is a little better and 1st is pretty good. Maybe the 2nd dog will be ok for 5th?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bill,

To me, 'pretty rounded off' sounds like a last resort even for fifth,replace it if you can.

I'm assuming you have a digital camera, most have a macro mode (normally a little tulip symbol) but if not you can try taking a photo from as close as you can focus then crop it to just the bit you want to show.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
JoeCab said:

Joe
Porche Dog gears, which are similar, are available on the aftermarket. Some entreprenure shouild track down that manufacturer(of the Porche part) and see about getting Alfa dog gears manufactrured.

Regards

Ken

1 - 20 of 47 Posts