Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Does Your Other-half Drive the Alfa?

• No, never - and I make her wear gloves when she's in the passenger seat.

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • Only in emergencies, life-threatening ones like being out of beer etc.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Only when necessary but complains like hell that the heater doesn't work blah blah blah

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Often - the car is treated like another appliance (gasp)

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • We regularly fight over who gets to drive - my mother was very dominant

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • It's actually HER car - more mother issues or some sort of tax concession

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • I am female and resent the question!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am in the habit of wasting everyone's time with poll-threads, I thought I might survey the forum on a subject of some sensitivity to many...

How often does your "other-half" drive the Alfa? (or the "pet" Alfa for those with a full garage). For the ladies on the BB, I have included an option however I am thinking that this is very much a male dominated environment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
as often as she can

My wife loves my spider; oops, I mean our spider as she now refers to it. She now finds little errands to do so she can take it out. She probably drives it 2-3 times per week. She loves it so much she wants me to buy her one of her own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually responses to this sort of question will vary widely with the actual models involved - eg. a shiny, fully-sorted Spider might have couples fighting for drives vs a cantankerous Berlina which SWMBO wouldn't go within twenty feet of in case she gets covered in oil. People may need to clarify their choice or we may even need to post this poll in each of the technical sub-categories...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree my wife is not fond of the GTV or Berlina. I have been looking at both thinking about setting one up for the track. But she said the next Alfa is a Giulia for her. There goes my race car budget.:eek:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
My wife will not let me forget ever that they are "our" cars... She used to drive the Spiders, but now she complains that they are not that easy to parallel park. (I haven't told her that they have wider tires. :D) So now she prefers either of the 164s - and has no problem flooring my 164Q! :eek:

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
My wife and daughter both like to drive our 164 Quik Silver w/AT. My wife used to like to drive 5-speed too but not as much now since we got QS. Our daughter hasn't mastered clutch yet.

I am getting where I drive AT in town traffic now more than 5-speed, too.

Daughter prefers the 164 w/AT over wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Does Your Other Half Drive the Alfa?

I guess, the first response that comes to mind in our situation is "of course, what else?" A little difficult for him right now to drive an Alfa.

Am I the only female on the board who could not find an appropriate answer in the poll selections? You could have given us one decent choice, rather than all the derogatorily worded ones aimed toward the female sex....

But then maybe we weren't the typical Alfa family. I knew how to drive a stick shift long before I met and married Pat. So they were definitely "our" cars, although, each licensed driver had his/her own daily Alfa driver as well as a BMW Bavaria everyday driver. So there was really no arguing over who got to drive the Alfa. Having said that, we had a combination of spiders, coupes, and sedans to select from. My daughter and I tended to prefer the sedans. Pat liked the coupes and spiders.

The biggest fight Pat and I ever had over buying an Alfa was my Berlina. I got the Berlina and the concession was he got the Super. Many feel he got the better deal; I don't, I didn't like driving the Super, I felt like I was driving a bus. He did have a fight on his hands with our oldest daughter who did like driving the Super. The strange thing, Pat learned to love the Berlina and I had to fight him for it. Although, it came across more like, "Sweetheart, I'm going to take your Berlina, just to make sure it's driving alright and you won't get stranded anywhere." I know trying to save me getting the car home which was the rule, if anything happened.

The younger ones that were not licensed drove the Alfas and the Suburban around our property. The first time Pat put Kay in the Suburban to help move cars I was less than comfortable; but in retrospect, she could do no worse than some of the things that I had done learning to rotate and move cars. There were days I'm sure that Pat wondered if the cars were going to survive. But I always remember in due time it equaled out between us with mistakes and damage. He tended to do his all in one day to several cars where I spread it out.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Depends...

She loved the 33 (but I didn't and it went)

She hated the 75, esp after it stopped on us one day (bad alarm inst) and the interior light used to come on and go off of its own accord (so it went to)

She never knew the Alfetta GTV 2.0L, but I don't think they would have gotten on well anyway (anyway, it is crashed and gone - NOT MY FAULT).

She was ambivalent about the 105 2.0L until its brakes decidied to stick on when driving across the Story Bridge, but it got turned into a race car so was soon pretty unfriendly to drive on the road for anybody (and now lives with the old man anyway)

She seems happy with the GTV6 (it hasn't done anything bad yet) and is OK to drive it - I have promised not to turn it into a race car. Hopefully it will continue to behave and we will all live happily ever after.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My wife, er ah girl friend of 17 years loves my Alfa's but does not drive them. She knows how and knows quite a bit about Italian cars she was even invited to ride in a pace car at the Monaco GP a few years ago. She's been out of town the past few days and has not seen the GTV6 I picked up Monday or the Milano I found today. I don't know how she'll like the fact that I now will have four Alfa's but since I bought her a Mercedes E350 a year ago I guess she can't complain too much.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
My wife has never even been in the Alfa ...

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,534 Posts
My wife has her own Alfa, an 89 Milano gold with aftermarket suspension and Verde wheels. Otherwise, I drive the 91S, and we share driving the 94LS (Q ship) on trips.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I the only female on the board who could not find an appropriate answer in the poll selections? You could have given us one decent choice, rather than all the derogatorily worded ones aimed toward the female sex....
Yeah, sorry - they are pretty derogatory. But if they weren't then the poll wouldn't be quite so much fun.:p

I guess I must clarify - my 1750 is driven by my wife now more than me. I have put quite a bit of effort into getting it "sorted" so it starts and runs like new and never misbehaves (except last week when the battery died). She is an excellent driver and better than most blokes I know. She can also reverse park our Landrover Defender with a foot either end which I think is spectacular.

More interesting is the notion that you may be the only female on the board - period. Are you? I found this on the Landrover forum I subscribe to - only two known females there. When I used to be a club member, all the wives & girlfriends would come along to runs but never did any challenge the males' position in the driver's seat. I don't know whether that displays a problem on the part of the guys or the girls, or both a bit. In any case, I'm quite proud of the way my wife handles the Alfa and it doesn't bother me one bit riding in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
my training/ bike ridding g/f, has her eyes on my spider..but it still has only 1 seat in , the drivers.she is waiting for me to instale the miata seats in it so we/she can drive it....just think cute petite blond, ( who sometimes can ride my a'' into the ground..durring bike rides, i just helped her get her new fj40, she's happy with that,,but she wants to go to the coast with my car...soon;):)

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
oh , yes..one more thing.. when my car is done and painted ( met. ruby red ) she will be modeling for me for some photo's of the car..:):):):).................... i could post the photo's in Italian girls posts..she not Italian,, but just as nice...:)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I couldn't find a poll statement that was suitable either. My wife is quite happy to drive the 75 and loved driving the 33 whilst the Volvo was being sorted, in fact I had to convince her to start using the Volvo. She now drives the Volvo all the time. She hasn't driven the the GTV yet because you have to double clutch for second down changes and she hasn't had time to practise.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I, also could not find a fitting poll question. My spouse when still my girl friend ask me early on while we were out driving my new 164 at the time to turn down radio so she could hear that Alfa 164 whine song. She got to drive it real soon after that.

Since she drove a school bus while working her way through college she was a natural with the 5-speed tranny.

Don't you just love a good Alfa love story?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts