Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I am about 6 months into owning my first alfa, I am starting to unravel the mysteries of the italians and I have come across some things I just don't understand. Some may be alfa related, some may be Underachieving previous owners. This for example. Shouldn't this fuel return line (RED arrow) go into the fuel filter housing thing where the green arrows are?

Thanks for the help. This will probably be the first of many "Does this look normal?" posts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does this look right?

You've got a different front filter from mine ('73, '74 Spica injected), but it doesn't look as though all the ports are being utilized. What model/year is your Alfa, and is the fuel system stock? Is it running well? Image is my '73 Spica; note port arrows as they differ from yours.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yes, it's normal.
Early Spica cars used a 2-port fuelpump and a fuel pressure bypass valve located in the 4-hose main fuel filter housing (2 of the hoses are the return to tank). Starting in 1975, a 3-port fuelpump was introduced with the 3rd port being the built-in fuel pressure bypass. Hence, the bypass valve in the main filter housing was eliminated as were the 2 return hoses attached to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's normal.
Early Spica cars used a 2-port fuelpump and a fuel pressure bypass valve located in the 4-hose main fuel filter housing (2 of the hoses are the return to tank). Starting in 1975, a 3-port fuelpump was introduced with the 3rd port being the built-in fuel pressure bypass. Hence, the bypass valve in the main filter housing was eliminated as were the 2 return hoses attached to it.
Aahaa! Very good, Thanks a lot. It is a 1978 spider. The car runs well, except for when I start it cold it idles fairly high until it gets to normal temperatures. Im just trying to figure out what is going on under there and maybe fix that problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts