Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
What's wrong with it?

I don't buy the "no rust" but what is catching your eye?

Vin

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Trunk looks funny, hard to tell but may be more than just a "fit" thing. Also what is with the jacked up back?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a deal, but with the brief description any real bidder would be hesitant until the seller responds within ebay to questions.

The hardtop looks sharp. FL car that old with no rust? OK....

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
69 spider

You can tell it is a European model because there are no rear side marker gumdrop marker lights. A few quick things I noticed, the trunk has bondo cracking through, the brake booster is missing, but there is nothing to call the car bogus, so I don't know where that question originates from.

Explain yourself soccersimon, are you becoming a crotchity olde alfabb member, do we need to talk over a Lonestar and get you less jaded? Lighten up amigo.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
The brake hydraulics were the clue for me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can tell it is a European model because there are no rear side marker gumdrop marker lights. A few quick things I noticed, the trunk has bondo cracking through, the brake booster is missing, but there is nothing to call the car bogus, so I don't know where that question originates from.

Explain yourself soccersimon, are you becoming a crotchity olde alfabb member, do we need to talk over a Lonestar and get you less jaded? Lighten up amigo.
guess I would have expected the owner to promote that it is a no-reserve auction, and fuss more about the price, never mind, carry on, no more comments from me

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doesn't raise any flags with me. Car looks rough. By the time a new owner gets it into reasonable condition they will be into it for more than value. (unless they are doing all their own work, but then you have to account for the time spent and you are still only making wages or less.)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The car doesn't raise that many flags to me...BUT...the posting sure does. He lists the car for $6990.00...yet bids are above that. Seller has not posted anything for 2 yrs. His 'feedback' is very low. Text is Very questionable"..looks like a 'cut & paste' job to me. The pics look real; but who is to say that the pics are actually from the stated 'seller i.d.' Bids shown as 'private listing'. No way to determine if "schill" bidding has been the start point. No 'VIN' is listed either in 'appropriate box' or in 'text'.
My gut (and experience) tells me this is a "questionable sale" at the least....Ed K.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and pretty new to Alfa in general, but have had my eye on a duetto/1750 Spider Veloce for a few months now. I can't afford the best, but ideally I want a car with a little "patina" anyway that I can work on myself for a little bit. I live in the Miami area and will be going to check out this car tomorrow. Should be interesting.....

If I do end up buying the car, I'll be sure to post all details here on the BB.

Best

-Jarrett

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Jarrett;

Beware the rust worm covered by bondo in the sills and the trunk lid (it may have come off some other car, who knows)has been hit so look for crumpling inside the trunk. Look at the floor carefully also. Otherwise, best of luck. For the right price it will be fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jarrett;

Beware the rust worm covered by bondo in the sills and the trunk lid (it may have come off some other car, who knows)has been hit so look for crumpling inside the trunk. Look at the floor carefully also. Otherwise, best of luck. For the right price it will be fun.
Absolutely, thanks for the tip. Anything other than perhaps a very small amount of rust is not something I am interested in dealing with. Ideally I'm looking for a car that might not be perfect now, but I can keep running for 5-10 years and invest in over time to work it toward perfection. I value originality, and it appears this car has most of the important parts. I'm a recent MBA graduate, so I figured a Duetto would be a fitting car... :)

Best

-Jarrett

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
U kant tale.

U don't have xray vision. The rocker sills are so many layers that the only way to tell is take them off. I once had a body guy tell me he looked inside the sills with a fiberoptic and they were OK.

The next year the same shop was sending me bills for rocker repair. You can't tell from the outside. If you want a car to keep, and you don't wait for a well kept survivor,you basically have to budget for full sill replacement and figure extra for the unknown areas.

Luckily the parts are available. Don't fall in love with a madeup darling with a rusty soul.

That said, most people will go ahead and do what they want anyway. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
The car in the rear was salvageable, but I moved to Texas so I had to refocus and picked up the well loved, preserved,always garaged, original owner to sister, one family car AR217 Vivo Verde Spider from N. California. It was just plain dumb luck I found it.

If you wait, you can find a good car too.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Made a very small amount of $ off the car in the back, and it was sold to a guy with a shop to restore it himself. That was a good thing.

So be honest with yourself and go for it.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Zunige
A word of caution here... Project cars, and this is a project, sell for a lot less than running cars, and they seem a good buy for the cash outlay. However, invariably, they always end up being a lot more expensive than a running car in similar condition. The only financial *advantage* to buying a car like this one is that one doesn't have to pay the total cost up front. That is often the only way some of us can afford to acquire a collectible example to begin with, but over time, the $$ invested to bring the car back to life will always far exceed the cost of a car *done" to the same quality level. Please don't interpret this as a reason for the seller to have to lower his/her price, but rather as a word of caution that any restoration at any level is always more expensive, and it is unrealistic to expect to recover the costs, once the car is deemed done.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts