Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get the glass out so I can clean the inside of the speedometer and tach. Does it come off Or is it glued permanently?

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
you have to pry that metal rim off..........from the back with a small implement, going all around, a tiny bit at a time.
or send both off to a speedo shop where they have the tools and can calibrate your speedo and tach...... but that costs some of dollar$ :)

here is a thread:
cleaning clouded gagues?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I would like to get the glass out so I can clean the inside of the speedometer and tach. Does it come off Or is it glued permanently?
View attachment 1666098
It is crimped on. Using a flat blade screwdriver, carefully work your way around the back of the ring. Patience so you do not break the glass.😉

·
Registered
1973 Spider Veloce 2000
28 Posts
I remember reading where you can send your gauges to a restorer in California and they come back right as rain and bright as new.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I remember reading where you can send your gauges to a restorer in California and they come back right as rain and bright as new.
PAlo Alto speedometer has rebuilt for me but they are not cheap.

Reactions: pennzo

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
@pantera928 ......do you feel the price justifies the value? I'm rebuilding my 73 Spider and want to have my pods refreshed to new cosmetically and mechanically....
Well, that is a matter of opinion. FYI, the last Alfa one I sent out there cost $297.37 but it needed parts for the odometer to be repaired.
I would just ask them what they would charge to clean up a check out a working speedometer.
Good Luck

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I would just ask them what they would charge to clean up a check out a working speedometer.
You can certainly ask how little work any repair shop would be willing to do. But they're likely to reply: "all or nothing".

In their defense, they have good reasons for taking this stance:

- Most instrument repair shops seem to have more work than they can handle. Why would they accept jobs that take just as much administrative time, but produce less revenue?

- If they are going to take responsibility for the gauge's operation and performance, they need to do thorough job. Sure, you will understand when it fails the day after you re-install it, since you only paid them to clean the glass. But other customers won't be so understanding.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
You can certainly ask how little work any repair shop would be willing to do. But they're likely to reply: "all or nothing".

In their defense, they have good reasons for taking this stance:

- Most instrument repair shops seem to have more work than they can handle. Why would they accept jobs that take just as much administrative time, but produce less revenue?

- If they are going to take responsibility for the gauge's operation and performance, they need to do thorough job. Sure, you will understand when it fails the day after you re-install it, since you only paid them to clean the glass. But other customers won't be so understanding.
Not suggesting that they take a job they don’t want. Just suggesting that he ask and see what they say. If they are smart, they will state a price that covers their concerns and the customer will either go with it or walk away.
For just cleaning, I would do it myself but maybe others can’t.

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
497 Posts
I bought a used speedo to see how hard it would be to remove the glass as I have a gauge that needs the indicator re-painted. The metal ring holding the glass is pretty thin and easy to remove. As stated, taking your time is key. I just used a couple small screwdrivers. Took maybe 10 minutes to remove it and about the same to put it back on. I still have the gauge if you want to try to DYI.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I bought a used speedo to see how hard it would be to remove the glass as I have a gauge that needs the indicator re-painted. The metal ring holding the glass is pretty thin and easy to remove. As stated, taking your time is key. I just used a couple small screwdrivers. Took maybe 10 minutes to remove it and about the same to put it back on. I still have the gauge if you want to try to DYI.
Good job. Like many things with Alfa’s, patience is the key. That is why sometimes I have to close the door and try again the next day.😉

Reactions: Jbutler

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
497 Posts
I should have been clear. You can have the speedometer for free to judge for yourself if it is something you want to attempt. Just pay shipping.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
View attachment 1666098
I had mine cleaned up by my Alfa mechanic...while he did some other work on the car...don't recall what he charged...cost wasn't that bad..if it was Id remember

1 - 14 of 14 Posts