Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day I got my Alfa the first fuse slot has been empty. Is there meant to be a fuse there? I checked the wiring diagram and not sure I'm reading it right because I understood first fuse is for the front headlight but my headlights work just fine?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm could be the cigarette lighter since I’ve never tried it. Do you know how many amps the fuse should be? I’ve got a few spares

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My early 105 has separate fuses for low beam and high beam, left and right, ie 4 for main beams, plus a fuse for park lights. You sure they are all working?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup all my lights are working except for the front left turn signal but i think thats due to a different issue since it previously was working

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Shame you haven’t got the cover for the fuse box....the sticker would tell you...
Have a look on the vendor sites for the equivalent cover/sticker for your model??
If that fails, have a closer look at the correct wiring diagram.
It is always possible a PO wired 2 headlights from the one circuit because of a short or break somewhere.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
I would have thought that the #1 was for the coil/ignition. This is the layout on my fuse box cover.

However, things change over time as owners sensibly add extra relays for the head lights and so on to reduce the load on the column switches.

I found that my reversing light did not work and then spent some time testing the action of the switch in the gearbox. It worked thank goodness. Then I found that the wiring to #5 fuse for the power in that circuit was missing (cut wire). Easy fix.

Fuse Box Sticker.png

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shame you haven’t got the cover for the fuse box....the sticker would tell you...
Have a look on the vendor sites for the equivalent cover/sticker for your model??
If that fails, have a closer look at the correct wiring diagram.
It is always possible a PO wired 2 headlights from the one circuit because of a short or break somewhere.
I do have the cover but it just says main devices like in the image merv shared

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Maybe someone loaded up 2-3, skipping 1, as the car starts and the lights work. Are extra relays added?

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
The first three fuses are bridged at the top of the fuse and are hot to the battery.. Then each of the three is fuse protected for those devices which are switch controlled from various places .. On my car a '73 Spider the first 4 fuses are hot from a source (I.e. starter) as the source of battery power... So it works like this .. On your car the devices would have power to call on when a component is switched on closing the circuit and drawing power..thus operational. These devices are in an order for the three hot fuses. You would not want to load up ONE fuse for all these devices so AR spread them among the 3 fuses to spread the loads. If the appliance you are switching on is shorted it will blow only that fuse the appliance is on. Usually the #1 is the most critical and is the source of power to your IGNITION SWITCH and in my case the courtesy light and key buzzer. It could be your ignition wiring has been connected to one of the other two fuses. You really need a wiring diagram for your car and it will all make sense. Your assertion #1 is for lights is mistaken IMHO. They should be down stream in 4 5 or 6 or even after. Do you have a picture of the cover and what car is it ?

Researching further, my '72 Super has the first 3 fuses bridged and the IGNITION comes off the #2.. #1 controls the horns and rear window defogger, courtesy lights.... if you have a short in one of those the PO pulled the fuse and they are inop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any wires connected to it and if so which colors?
Just checked, there are wires connected but not sure where they go to. Maybe I should just put a fuse in it and see what happens. My guess though is whoever removed the fuse removed it for good reason. If it was a burnt fuse he would have just left it in at least but deliberately removing the fuse makes me think there might have been an electrical issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and took a picture of the cigarette lighter wires. They kinda match so might be for the lighter? Maybe the lighter isn't functioning right and so the previous owner removed the fuse. Although if the first three fuses are usually reserved for the important stuff, it doesn't make sense the lighter would occupy spot 1.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Oh and took a picture of the cigarette lighter wires. They kinda match so might be for the lighter? Maybe the lighter isn't functioning right and so the previous owner removed the fuse. Although if the first three fuses are usually reserved for the important stuff, it doesn't make sense the lighter would occupy spot 1.

View attachment 1626230
You should have a wiring diageam t sort through it

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should have a wiring diageam t sort through it
The wiring diagram for the car doesn't match the wiring. According to the wiring diagram in the manual the headlight should be one of the things connected to the first fuse but my headlights all 4 are working fine.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Ok..so again what car and year and what does the cover look like? If the cover has no hint on the outside it might on the inside.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1970 1750GTV. Which cover do you mean? the fuse box cover? if yes it looks like this

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
Your diagram (manual) doesn't match the cover. The lights are on #4 according to the cover.

In the AROC archives these manuals might apply.. FWIW there were no USA Alfa Romeos in 1970..
1750 GT Veloce Series 1 10/69 1499 English 1750 GT Veloce Series 2 - Supplement 02/70 1552 English 1750 GT Veloce Series 2 - Supplement 07/70 1552 R1 English 1750 GT Veloce Serie 2 - Erganzung 02/70 1553 Deutsch

1 - 20 of 34 Posts