Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my recently purchased 1974 GTV, however, when driving I can intermittently smell gasoline.

I'm running a spica injection unit. I've looked at all the fuel lines in the engine compartment and don't see any obvious leaks.

My gas cap "seems" to seal well.

Could the expansion tank in the trunk be the culprit?

Any advice is welcomed!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Smell of Gas

This is quite common I think but seems to depend on the wind direction and where your windows are positioned. I find that having the rear windows in the open position helps, as well as either having both front windows closed or at least partially closed (2/3).

I would suggest you check the filler cap as well as sometimes mine goes on and looks ok but is actually cross threaded slightly - the smell is much more noticeable then

I also find the faster you go you tend to leave the smell in your wake - it tends to catch up at the lights !

Worth checking fuel lines and the seal between the trunk and the car as mine certainly smells worse in the boot (trunk)

Hope this makes some sense

Andy

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My bet is on the expansion tank and the related lines. However, mine was due to a deteriorated rubber seal under the sender going into the tank.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It doesn't have to smell that way.
F'rinstance a dead fish under a wheel cover, rotten eggs under the seat, a plastic bottle on the exhaust somewhere, spilled perfume, a corpse in the trunk and any number of items in various locations can make it smell completely different than gasoline.

But is it normal for it to smell like gas?
Not really, but there's some good suggestions above on resolving that particular issue.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When my car was apart for repairs recently, I thoroughly sealed the rear firewall, parcel shelf and side panels with a heavy-duty polythene sheet, using gaffer tape. This radically reduced the amount of gas and exhaust smells being sucked from the boot (trunk) via the rear wheel-arches. Still a small amount of aroma from other sources, but this was the main culprit.

Highly recommended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts