Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the market, looking for a GTV and I've seen some w/ Fuel injection and some without.

My question is... how do I know if it originally came with the SPICA Fuel injection? Or does it even matter? Is it common to swap out the Fuel Injection for a set of Weber carbs, and does it change the value of the car?

(I guess the question is... what's more sought after?)

Thanks!
Doug

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Hi Doug,

Working from memory, all U.S. spec 1750 & 2000 GT/GTV's came with SPICA mechanical fuel injection. 1600's came with Webers.

Whether a modified induction system matters depends upon your opinion of originality (and possibly the opinion of a future purchaser of your car) and also if you prefer SPICA over carburators or vice versa. Many people have changed from SPICA to Webers, and a few have changed back. The benefits of either setup has been a long standing debate that you can find by searching the BB.

I'm a SPICA enthusiast, and believe the most important step is the mental acceptance that you will do what is required to learn about the system and it's adjustments. Many of the negative comments or experiences have probably come from people who didn't really understand SPICA.

I'm still in the market, looking for a GTV and I've seen some w/ Fuel injection and some without.

My question is... how do I know if it originally came with the SPICA Fuel injection? Or does it even matter? Is it common to swap out the Fuel Injection for a set of Weber carbs, and does it change the value of the car?

(I guess the question is... what's more sought after?)

Thanks!
Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Working from memory, all U.S. spec 1750 & 2000 GT/GTV's came with SPICA mechanical fuel injection.

Thanks! That answers it for me. If I want to keep a car original, then I need to make sure I buy one that has the SPICA. I'd rather have the car with all the original factory components, and at least have the option of installing webers or keeping it original.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
+1

GTVs started being delivered in the US w/ SPICA'd 1750s in '69.

To see if a carb'd motor originally had SPICA FI, look for an empty platform cast into the block, below and forward of the front carburetor. If it isn't there, and it's a US car of the proper year, someone probably installed a motor from a Canadian/Euro car.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
My question is... how do I know if it originally came with the SPICA Fuel injection?
For the vehicle, the chassis number will determine whether its a USA Spica car or not.
For the engine, a 1750 Spica engine will be engine type 00551. The 115 Series 2l Spica cars were fitted with engine type 01500.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Spica

+2

Properly tuned, the Spica injection delivers better fuel mileage and more power. I used to drive my race car to the track and averaged 36 mpg cruising at 80 mph. Wes Ingram helped me tune it at the track and it made competitive power.

Many people switched to webers early on when they (or their mechanic) couldn't get the Spica system to run right. Now, there is much more information available and this is a non-issue. Other people switched when they hot-rodded their cars. Now, Wes can build a special pump that will work with your modifications if you go that route.

Finally, mechanical injection with itb's is exotic. It is one of the things that make these cars cool.

Chris

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I don't think it devalues it, unless the seller is hardcore about originality. Some buyers prefer carbs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Spokeless,

I don't think that there was any difference between Canadian and US spec cars in the years that they were imported to both countries (Canada got Alfas for 1970, but the US did not. AFAIK, that is the only difference).

My 1972 GTV was sold new in Canada and has SPICA.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Spokeless,

I don't think that there was any difference between Canadian and US spec cars in the years that they were imported to both countries (Canada got Alfas for 1970, but the US did not. AFAIK, that is the only difference).

My 1972 GTV was sold new in Canada and has SPICA.
Interesting. I was basing that on several cars/motors that were described as being sourced from Canada and had no cast-in mounting platform for SPICA (I have one such motor, actually), but they were all 1750s, now that I think about it.

Perhaps the 2000s marked a switchover in Canada from carbs to FI?

I wonder if anyone knows of, had, or has, an orig. Canadian car and motor w/ a 1750 and SPICA.

Of course, maybe the sellers claimed the cars/motors were Canadian so the buyer wouldn't think the car was driven to the US all the way from Europe. ;)

(My '65 GT was picked up at the factory, and shipped back to SF, according to the orig. owner. Or, maybe he just said he didn't drive it back here..)

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
To do it right you need to use the appropriate Weber manifold, airbox, and linkage---NOT the the awful SPICA based conversions kits. Then, you should replace the SPICA front cover and front pulley with the front cover/pulley from a European Weber engine (it can't hurt to also use a correct Bosch distributor). If you do this the difference in originality isn't great enough in my opinion to influence any but the most finicky buyer. Personally, it wouldn't influence me at all: I'd be much more interested in whether the work was done in the right manner. I probably wouldn't buy a SPICA/Weber conversion with aftermarket air filters, etc., etc. unless the car was otherwise good and I could either retrofit an Ingram modified SPICA or do the above proper Weber conversion.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
And then there is the appearance - twin double barrel Webers on a twin cam engine just look the business.

Easy for me to say though, as my car had them factory fitted.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Then again, you could find a stock Euro spec GTV and have originality AND carbs. When it comes down to it, both systems work really well "when tuned properly". Find something nice and drive it!

To discern whether or not a GT had carbs or Spica, look at the plate on the firewall.

105.02___carbs__1963-66__Sprint GT
105.36___carbs__1965-68__Sprint GT Veloce
105.30___carbs__1966-76__GT Junior 1300
105.44___carbs__1967-73__GTV 1750 (Euro)
105.51___Spica__1969,71__GTV 1750 (USA)
115.21___carbs__1971-76__GTV 2000 (Euro)
115.01___Spica__1971-74__GTV 2000 (USA)
115.03___carbs__1972-75__GT Junior 1600
105.30S__carbs__1974-76__GT Junior 1.3
115.34___carbs__1974-76__GT Junior 1.6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts