Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me get my car back to rolling status!

I decided not to do a hack (saw) job of replacing my GTV trailing arm bushes.
I recall a few of you on the BB have mentioned you had tools made that allow one to easily and safely push in/out the trailing arm bushes with a press.

Is anyone willing to lend me the tool? Obviously I pay shipping both ways (or maybe pick it up if you're anywhere near new haven ct). Alternately... if you have the plans for the tool maybe i can make it/have it made and still end up paying less than buying rebuilt arms from IAP (which are out of stock for "several months").

thanks!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I just use jumbo sockets some washers and some threaded rod. same thing for the press in mounts.
Use a big socket on side. The bush should be able to slide in to it. but is should set on the tube not over it where the bush goes. Then use a smaller socket just a tiny bit smaller then the id of the tube. put that on the other side. run the threaded rod thru the whole thing put on washers and nuts and tighten the bush will just slid into the bigger socket.
use the same set up to install the new bush.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried a bootleg version of this with a 2 arm gear puller and socket, but had to stop when the trailing arm started to bend a bit. Granted a big socket on the 'receiving end' would distribute the force better, but still what's stopping the trailing arm from crushing in on itself?

i recall people describing tools that support the interior of the trailing arm, maintaining the distance between flanges...

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Fear of damaging the arms is a good reason to cut out the old ones with a hacksaw. I suppose that it depends upon your skill level, but I thought that I was minimizing risk when I used the hacksaw. There is also minimal risk during installation if you go with poly.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
with the sockets there is zero force on the trailing arm. all the force is just on the tube. and even at that. I would guess the threaded rod would snap before the tube would bend. that is if everything is lined up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did the job about three years ago. I think I did in fact turn some "dies" for pressing them out. I'll look around for them this weekend and see if I can find them. PM me Sunday or so and we can go from there.

David

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rich!

Just emailed you.

Gave the socket trick another try last night... no joy. Sockets don't go in plum. Boo. Looking forward to the right tool for the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts