Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a trunk seal for my 73’ spider.

The one I currently have does not allow me to close my trunk.

I checked:
Classic Alfa
Alfaholics
Centerline

And they all offer the same *too tall/thick type product.

Does anyone know of a seal that works and where to purchase it from. (Links are appreciated!)

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I also got one from Classic Alfa (albeit that was 6 years ago) and when I got it, the hollow tube cushion section on top looked noticeably smaller in diameter than the old one I was replacing, so I was worried it might not be as good, but once installed, the new one fit much better than the older fat one. Perhaps they have found a different source, but I am still very happy with the one I got from CA six years ago (and I even pry it halfway off every winter to expose and charge the battery).

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Cicognani in Italy supplies most distributors of Italian car parts with their rubber offerings. Many parts are made with the original tooling or tooling that has been reproduced to 'original' specifications. I've had issues several times with door gaskets being too thick for the door to close properly; resulting in torn 'new' gaskets. In the case of the Montreal a new rear hatch gasket was too thin for the rear hatch to seal properly. I think the issue is inconsistent manufacturing processes as some folks say some parts work great, while others have issues. I checked with several vendors looking for a rear hatch gasket produced by another manufacturer and they all got them from Cicognani. The original gasket was about 15% larger than the OEM reproduction gasket. C/A is a great vendor but they offered little consideration for any of my torn or ill fitting gaskets.

On a couple of occasions I have had good luck buying 'off the shelf' trunk gasket material, with a profile similar to an original, from Pep Boys and other local vendors. I believe the Duetto trunk gasket came from such a local source; as did the Montreal scuttle gasket. For the scuttle gasket, I had to miter cut the corners and superglue them together. It looks great and has held up for several years so far.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts