1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
936 Posts
thermal wrap traps excess heat and moisture against the headers.

if you had stainless or titanium headers, it might be OK. but if you want your mild steel or cast iron headers to hold up, don't do it.

if you want to keep exhaust heat out of your engine compartment, the better option is to have them ceramic coated inside and out.

that guy wants $32k for that hideously molested GTV ?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just had my mild steel headers ceramic coated, inside and outside, given that the main objective (apart from the nice aesthetics) is to keep engine bay radiant head from the headers down to a minimum.

The coating process took a week and only cost AUD280.00 (about USD260).

The headers came up a treat... looks like softly polished stainless steel. I can't decide whether to put it on the car or hang it over the fireplace as a piece of modern art :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
ceramic coated, inside and outside
i had my cast headers done in grey by JetHot. at the time, they could also be coated in white, black, or chrome-like finish. there might be more choices by now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I have to wrap the headers in my 24 Hour of Lemons Milano in the area of the motor mounts. I leave everything else un wrapped.

The heat from the headers damages the rubber in the motor mounts. It looks charred.

On my GTV6 I used Swaintech coatings on the headers. I have not run them yet but I hear good things about them. Swaintech coating is very durable but not as pretty as some of the others. It is more form over function.

Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you wrap the headers?

I have been wrapping my headers on several of my cars for a long time and I even wrap the single pipe all the way to the muffler to keep heat out of the interior. To avoid any moisture-rust issues on the steel tubes I first wrap the tubes with a layer or two of heavy duty aluminum foil from the kitchen. This blocks moisture from the steel and the aluminum is happy in the high temp environment. In keeping the heat in the exhaust system the gas flow velocity is higher for better scavenging. DC

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,745 Posts
I specifically asked Thermo Tec (they make header wraps) about this at one point. They were very clear that cast iron headers should never be wrapped, as the high heat can cause them to fail.

They sell a header blanket that they say is okay to use with cast iron, as long as it is loosely wrapped and left open underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
If you consider your header a consumable item, wrap them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do you wrap your headers?

Thanks all for input. What you say is right on. However my headers are tubular steel and I believe they don't have the brittleness issues of cast iron. Dennie

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Paint the headers with high temperature exhaust paint first, then wrap them in insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts