Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know China has an eyebrow-raising reputation when it comes to mass-produced goods but, would you still consider having car parts and accessories from China? :confused1:

·
Registered
2 Posts
No! Everything that comes from China (only the dry goods) breaks after few uses.
PS. this comment is made in China. :)

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Do you have a smartphone made by either Apple or Samsung?
Or any car built in the last 30 years. Every oem uses lots of parts from offshore suppliers.

I used to be in automotive parts manufacturing business. I'm not now in part because of the impossible pricing from China. We were held to strict quality requirements - 27 defects per million produced. Parts from China (Korea, Mexico, India, etc) routinely shipped as much as 25% defective parts but they were so cheap that the OEMs couldn't resist. So we shut down manufacturing and started a business inspecting the parts from China (Korea Mexico, India) and make far more money than we ever did making them...

Epilogue: We've noticed over the years China quality has been steadily improving but so are the prices...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There was a good item on Top Gear a few years ago on how much progress China has made building cars over only a couple of decades. It’s scary.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
There was a good item on Top Gear a few years ago on how much progress China has made building cars over only a couple of decades. It’s scary.
That's my point. Those old enough to remember, it used to be "made in Japan" meant cheap junk. Driven a Toyota, Honda, etc lately?

You've got all the US and euro manufacturers over there showing them how to make world class parts because of its cheap labor and the Chinese government pouring money into these companies. What do you think is going to happen?

Good luck buying anything these days that doesn't have Chinese content...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That's my point. Those old enough to remember, it used to be "made in Japan" meant cheap junk. Driven a Toyota, Honda, etc lately?

You've got all the US and euro manufacturers over there showing them how to make world class parts because of its cheap labor and the Chinese government pouring money into these companies. What do you think is going to happen?

Exactly! Remember the first Corollas, the first Civics and Accords? Look where they are now.

Sad to say outside of North America "Made in U.S.A." is not something you see much, "Made in China" is everywhere.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I check all suspension ball joints, tie rod ends prior to install, putting pressure on them in a press... ALL the units made in China failed (play), from them on no more... I do use FRAP and when I can get them LEMFORDER ...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
no....i have not bought pirelli tires since china bought the company
does it matter if they tires arent made there?

Exactly! Remember the first Corollas, the first Civics and Accords? Look where they are now.

Sad to say outside of North America "Made in U.S.A." is not something you see much, "Made in China" is everywhere.
yes you couldnt find a made in usa magnavox tv for decades .... but now you can since it was acquired by a foreign company.

origin of "cheap junk" it kind of got inverted didnt it in the 80's-90's :)

No way I will install any part made in china....
the performance and classic pirelli tires come from turkey apparently. same factory were the make the current F1 tires.

chances are if you are driving a newer car from the 2000's there parts in it from china whether is a american, German or Japanese.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I check all suspension ball joints, tie rod ends prior to install, putting pressure on them in a press... ALL the units made in China failed (play), from them on no more... I do use FRAP and when I can get them LEMFORDER ...
We are currently inspecting current production ball joints from Bosch that are made in Korea - running about 12% rejects for the last 6 months. Job security for us...

BTW, Tom, I did find the Dunlap stuff - PM me your address again and I'll try to get those out next week.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
We are currently inspecting current production ball joints from Bosch that are made in Korea - running about 12% rejects for the last 6 months. Job security for us...

BTW, Tom, I did find the Dunlap stuff - PM me your address again and I'll try to get those out next week.
Great Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
It is not where they are made that matters it is how cheaply they are made. Many companies are making Chinese companies make their components too cheaply ... probably American/Australia/NZ companies where the bosses are happy to make larger profits. This is one of the problems in this modern world, all for profits for the fat share holder.
Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts