Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
1991 Spider on ebay

If the top is indeed vinyl, then it is NOT original. Should be a canvas top (at least on the Veloce model, not sure about the base spider model). Is it a spider or spider veloce? IF it is a spider veloce, plan on around 20K. My 1993 Spider Veloce in pristine condition, totally original with 11,850 miles sold on ebay for $20,610 last month. Buyer got the car a few days ago and is absolutely thrilled with it. My auction got enormous interest on the car, multiple bidders, over 3000 views, etc. There is clearly a market that will pay top dollar for truly pristine and low mileage S4 Spiders. I suspect the final price will be above 20K (remember his asking price privately is $22,500). If you want it, go after it, as I suspect it will clearly sell (unless he is firm on his price of $22,500, in which case it may not)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alex,
I have sent the seller the questions regarding the top and the under-hood. I did caveat my query by explaining that I had been asked to assist a serious bidder. Please, also keep in mind that while my questions are legitimate, in no way do they take anything away from the overall condition of what appears to be an excellent car. I'm just a firm believer that cars should be evaluated dispassionately (very hard for us Alfisiti), so that once the excitement passes we still feel that the transaction was fair.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If the top is indeed vinyl, then it is NOT original. Should be a canvas top (at least on the Veloce model, not sure about the base spider model). Is it a spider or spider veloce?
For sure the series 4 Spider was also fitted with a canvas top, and all brochures form those years also confirm that. As evidenced by the steel wheels with hub caps and the rear badges, the car offered on ebay is a Spider, not a Veloce.

Best regards,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Upon further inspection, I agree. The Spider appears genuine and excellent. You can always hire a third party inspector (usually on 1-2 days notice) in the area (San Diego) who can give you a unbiased report on the car for around $100. IF it is truly as appears, and you want a near new Spider I would buy it. Spiders like this don't come around often. Prepare to spend around 20K though, perhaps a bit more, not including shipping (which should be done closed transport). IF you offered 20K-21K, he would probably end the auction.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got an email from the seller of the ALfa on ebay. He says the top is original. Previous owner apparently an 80 year old man who had to sell the car due to a stroke and inability to drive it. It is a spider, not a spider veloce.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
it looks like a stunning example of a S4. it still needs to be checked out before bidding.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've emailed seller and am trying to check it out today. He says he will be out of town the 26th through the 29th.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Seller states that he will show car by appointment only since he has no sales staff. Also states that he does not wish to show unless the person looking only intends to bid to own since he has been offered in the low 20's. Well I never said I was checking the car out for other potential buyers but with that attitude he can take a big bite! You know what, just for that I'm going to make him pull it out and take me for a spin and when his top bidder fails to come through I'll low ball him and get Alex a smoking deal! Ha!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Seller states that he will show car by appointment only since he has no sales staff. Also states that he does not wish to show unless the person looking only intends to bid to own since he has been offered in the low 20's. Well I never said I was checking the car out for other potential buyers but with that attitude he can take a big bite! You know what, just for that I'm going to make him pull it out and take me for a spin and when his top bidder fails to come through I'll low ball him and get Alex a smoking deal! Ha!
Why not tell him why you are inspecting the car? I was upfront with him, and he was very forthcoming an gracious...

Best regards,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey You Are Awsome Man !!! Yeah That Would Be Graet To Do That..on Ebay ...really Lets See What Happens In Confidence My Max Bid Is Set At $ 17,500 And There Is Only One Other Guy Behind The Car..besides Me !!! What Do You Think...?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Well the only thing I said was that I was in San Diego and would like to see the car and he said he would only show it if I was going to bid to own. Well that just puts me off since I never indicated that I wanted to track it or cruise Mission Beach with it but was interested in seeing it. It's not a TZ so if he does not want to let people inspect it that's his business but I just want to let potential buyers know what he told me.

A number of years ago, 1995 to be exact there was a 1991 Porsche 928 S4 for sale and when I came by to test drive it the salesman said he would only let me drive it if I was going to buy it. Well, the next day I called the owner of the dealership and told him of his salesmans tactics and I bought that car for $4000 less than the price on the sticker and after that the salesman was no longer employed at that dealership.

I'm only saying that sales people should be accomodating not confrontational.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
ALEXNOW - what is the most you would pay for an alfa?
For what it's worth, I wouldn't pay over $15,000 for an S-4 Spider today and it would have to be a very low millage one and in perfect condition. But then again I paid $12,500 for mine in 2001. It had 12,000 miles on it and was a one owner car that I bought locally.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts