Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfa Romeo enthusiasts, I hope I am not posting this request at an awkward place.

I am looking for the title of a movie for which I only have one screenshot. It is from a car interior, so it does not say much about the movie, but since it appears to be from a Duetto Spider I thought someone might remember seeing a movie with a white or light coloured Spider, probably with a role important enough that they installed a camera in it and bothered filming a character using the radio. Here is the screenshot:

The autoradio is probably a Blaupunkt Frankfurt from the late 60s - early 70s. The screenshot was taken in 1993, so the movie is definitely older than that, but it is also quite certainly no more recent than 85. Any hints would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flip though this site: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Alfa+Romeo.html
Perhaps something in there will match up with what you're looking for.
Unfortunately I already asked on their forums, and though someone was able to confirm it was a Spider, no one so far could identify the movie and I already (unsuccessfully) watched all the movies that were marked there as featuring a Spider. But thank you very much for the suggestion.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I couldn't be positive but it may be "The Day of the Jackal". The star cuised around in a white Duetto for most of the film.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
We could use a little more backround information here. You must know more about the film, it would help to share a little more info.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I couldn't be positive but it may be "The Day of the Jackal". The star cuised around in a white Duetto for most of the film.
The Day of the Jackal features a Giulietta, not a Duetto. Awesome movie and there are numerous seens where you can see (and hear) the car being driven properly. Shame about the dodgy respray and crash towards then end though :)

~Benjamin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We could use a little more backround information here. You must know more about the film, it would help to share a little more info.
You’re probably right. I thought I’d only share what I considered relevant, but I may have missed something.

The shot was taken from La Classe Américaine, a French parody movie from 1993 that used sequences from other movies and re-dubbed them to create a whole new story (not unlike Woody Allen’s 1966 What’s Up, Tiger Lily?). I am trying to determine which movies were used, my list so far has 46 movies and the Alfa Romeo interior shot is one of the five missing scenes. Unfortunately these remaining scenes do not have enough information (such as an actor’s face) to easily find the movie. I have been working on this for almost two years now, and more information about my investigation can be found here (sorry, everything is in French for now). There is a possibility that the movie I am looking for was also used for another scene (for instance the Los Angeles aerial view) but there is no way to be sure about that, so I didn't want to confuse people.

Another hint about the movie that helps narrowing it down is that, for legal reasons associated with the creation of La Classe Américaine, it has to be a Warner Bros production or distribution.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Giulietta, not a Duetto thank you very much. The film was set in 1962, no such thing as a Duetto back then.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Day of the Jackal Giulietta with mods

It did appear to be a late 101 series Giulietta, but was not standard. The most obvious thing was when the car was being resprayed. The 'Jackal' connected the terminals of his electric sprayer to to battery terminals under the bonnet. As far as I am aware all 750 / 101 series Spiders have their battery in the boot.

The other strange thing was when the Jackal pulls up the hood whilst driving. Any 750 or 101 Spider owner will tell you that this is the biggest joke out.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It did appear to be a late 101 series Giulietta, but was not standard. The most obvious thing was when the car was being resprayed. The 'Jackal' connected the terminals of his electric sprayer to to battery terminals under the bonnet. As far as I am aware all 750 / 101 series Spiders have their battery in the boot.

The other strange thing was when the Jackal pulls up the hood whilst driving. Any 750 or 101 Spider owner will tell you that this is the biggest joke out.

I suspect the battery was moved to facilitate the very MX5 application of the hood. Glad to know that, having an MGA to which putting the roof on can take up to 10 minutes I was alway bloody jealous at how easy that looked. Now I know better. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, someone sent me the solution to this so I wanted to let the curious ones know about it.

The movie is The Arrangement with Kirk Douglas and Faye Dunaway. It features a white Duetto. A trailer can be found

Thanks to everyone who helped!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi, someone sent me the solution to this so I wanted to let the curious ones know about it.

The movie is The Arrangement with Kirk Douglas and Faye Dunaway. It features a white Duetto. A trailer can be found here.

Thanks to everyone who helped!
Truly amazing that 'someone' came up w/the correct solution! Somebody has way, way too much time on their hands---they had to sit through a ton of "bad movies" to come up w/this one!:D:D:D

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. Aside from the white Duetto and prancing Faye Dunaway it looks like watching "The Arrangement" would be a pretty painful experience. What about the movie that started this thread, "La Classe Americaine". Worth looking up?

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Sam,

Thanks for getting back to us on this. Aside from the white Duetto and prancing Faye Dunaway it looks like watching "The Arrangement" would be a pretty painful experience. What about the movie that started this thread, "La Classe Americaine". Worth looking up?

Bill
Well, it's probably worth having a look but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not familiar with French and French humour from the 90s. There is a lot of innovative slang, useless vulgarity and nonsense in it, and no English translation or subtitles exist (part of my project is to create them, though, but that will take months).

In fact, I have no idea how a foreigner would enjoy that movie. A re-dubbed movie English-speaking people may enjoy more is Woody Allen's "What's Up, Tiger Lily?".

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
FYI, Sam H: Let me just point out that on this page the film "The arrangement" is dated as 1957 (before Duettos existed) but IMDB mentions the date as 1969, which seems more reasonable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts