Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1701 - 1720 of 2938 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
i cannot belive all the hate against mr Obama..amazing..and attacking his wife?? this is wrong..plane and simple
Huh? And here we go again about a plane. You lost me once more. :confused:

Questionable Presidential eligibility and concerns about ODorks poor decisions and treasonous motives hardly equal hate. Perhaps you simply had a bad dream recently. What is just wrong is that half the population continue to make excuses for this Global mud slick by vilifying the other half of the people in the country instead of looking at the facts about him. :eek:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
So that's were my presents went! Santa got lost!!! :)

The northeastern US got hit that hard last year: 8ft drifts and -0/F days for weeks and weeks. Even this part of Texas was doggone cold. This year the weather's relatively mild. A couple of days ago it was 75/F here.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Just the start of another ice age... the last one cause Europe alot of problems. :D

Seems like the jet streams are all screwed up, they keep getting stuck. Some say the ocean's thermohaline circulation is not flowing like it use too which is causing all these extreme weather patterns.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well, we all know that global cooling would be a GOOD THING because cold air increases horsepower, right? Although with only about 13 cm (5 inches) of ground clearance under the sump of my Spider, we don't want toooooo much cooling

By the way, looking that that picture of the reindeer, what's the conversion factor between horsepower and reindeerpower?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Sure hope the deer are wearing depends or that a pooper scooper is bringing up the rear. Hate to see them slapped with a big fine for flatulence, a known greenhouse gas, or for droppings in a sensitive habitat.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
That's an interesting article in the Spectator, Bob. Historically, it has always been technological innovation, not politics, that has led the world to discover new sources for fuel: wood to coal, coal to gas, gas to nukes. Only a few years ago one of my relatives was pursuing research into oil shale extraction which he dismissed as technically unfeasable. Then along came fracking (which, among other things, has dramatically transformed proverty stricken southern Texas) and, presto!, we're suddenly sitting on top of a century's worth of new gas and oil diposits.

And environmentalists absolutely hate that. In their view the world's problems lie with people and the solutions lie with finding new ways to control people. With the sudden appearance of apparently limitless carbon fuel sources, the politically useful "energy crisis" and attandant "renewable resources" fantasies become irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The Japanese have just starting extracting evil, evil methane hydrate. It's everywhere, full of juicy carbon, and its only flaw is that is chock full of "greenhouse gases". Between fracked oil, natural gas, and methane hydrate, there is no shortage of carbon-based liquid fuels, and using man-based measures of time - centuries, for example, there is not and will 'never' be.

The technological advancements of modern engineering have made the fear of running out of oil et al a thing of the past.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
notice the blackness aroung the earth? no air..no water..and it's a long way to the next planet, that might be able to support life..and we cannot get there...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I once worked at NASA. One day I decided it would be a great idea to form a NASA component of the "Flat Earth Society". So, I put a notice on the bullitin board in the foyer of Building 2 which housed the offices of Dr. Gillruth, the head of NASA. Things were a bit more personal in those days and so within minutes Dr. Robert Gilruth, the head of NASA, personally called my boss and said, "you tell that **$$##!%%% to take that notice down NOW!! It turned out that the public affairs guys were in a snit because they were worried that the astrouauts might want to join the NASA Flat Earth Society (something I kinda was hoping for). I thought I was dead but fortunately Gilruth, for whom I sometimes worked, thought it was funny. :)

The Flat Earth Society

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Fantastic!

I'll join--I took a B.Sc. in Geophysics a long time ago and I recall something about a Flat Earth Society. One had to be a physicist and for acceptance you had to write a paper about something nonsensical, but seemingly serious.

The latter seems to have found a home in interventionist economics.

Anyhow, the motto of the old Flat Earth Society was:

We Are On The Level.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
A Flat Earth Society logo would be a worthy addition to the Scuderia Non Originale decals on our cars. I still think a Flat Earth Society sign would have been great on the Gemini spacecraft. Punch and National Lampoon would have loved it. But bureaucrats are such humorless drudges. :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The computer-model predictions of alarming global warming have seriously exaggerated the warming by CO2 and have underestimated other causes. Since CO2 is not a pollutant but a substantial benefit to agriculture, and since its warming potential has been greatly exaggerated, it is time for the world to rethink its frenzied pursuit of decarbonization at any cost.

WSJ: Concerned Scientists Reply on Global Warming | JunkScience.com

Claude Allegre, former director of the Institute for the Study of the Earth, University of Paris; J. Scott Armstrong, cofounder of the Journal of Forecasting and the International Journal of Forecasting; Jan Breslow, head of the Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, Rockefeller University; Roger Cohen, fellow, American Physical Society; Edward David, member, National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences; William Happer, professor of physics, Princeton; Michael Kelly, professor of technology, University of Cambridge, U.K.; William Kininmonth, former head of climate research at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology; Richard Lindzen, professor of atmospheric sciences, MIT; James McGrath, professor of chemistry, Virginia Technical University; Rodney Nichols, former president and CEO of the New York Academy of Sciences; Burt Rutan, aerospace engineer, designer of Voyager and SpaceShipOne; Harrison H. Schmitt, Apollo 17 astronaut and former U.S. senator; Nir Shaviv, professor of astrophysics, Hebrew University, Jerusalem; Henk Tennekes, former director, Royal Dutch Meteorological Service; Antoninio Zichichi, president of the World Federation of Scientists, Geneva

1701 - 1720 of 2938 Posts