1601 - 1620 of 2954 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
A mania is a mania is a mania.

This one in "bioenergy" could be a classic:

A mini-bubble in bioenergy stocks? | FP Comment | Financial Post

Just a guess, but Al Gore is likely fully "invested".:eek:

In the 1825 Bubble (think 1929 -then automobiles and radio) the new technology was railroads.

Speculation was outstanding on the way to straight up--and then it crashed.:eek:

The first commercial locomotive did not turn a wheel until 1831.

Bubbles have been based upon exciting concepts that may not be connected to reality.:(

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
From the article:

". . . In other words, what these emails confirm is that the great man-made global warming scare is not about science but about political activism. . ."
In times of rapid social and technological change, people sometimes feel dislocated and experience "culture lag" becasue the values they hold dear and use to define themselves and the world in general, are not respected by the larger society. This leads to a pervasive disquiet called "status anxiety" in which they begin to see the world as threatening and alien, threatening not only their way of life but their very persons. Looking for explanations for their pervasive disquiet they typically find "causes" which symbolically represent the differences between their perferred (and threatened) lifestyle and the behaviors they think most threaten them.

"Global warming" ideology and it's attendant demands for radical lifestyle changes is a perfect example of this. While I have no doubt that climate change is happening, the politicized "solutions" currently being offered (cancelling the oil-shale pipeline from Canada for example) have more to do with political activism than with meaningful responses to a problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With industrialization and western consumption standards and practices skyrocketing in China, India, Brazil, etc. -- and with the population ever increasing -- we're having impact. However, the level of development abroad makes some of our CO2 control efforts, namely in the US and Europe, a tad futile. In regards to CO2 and mi Alfa I do take comfort in keeping a simple old car on the road; its better pollution-wise (even if at last millenium's standards) then buying/driving a brand new throwaway car. Even if good for the economy, a new car takes a LOT of energy to
Dredge up the raw materials,
Transport them,
Create pieces and parts (and transport some of those again)
Fabricate, and
Transport the finished product.

IMHO, regardless of speed-of-demise we are lemmings and the proverbial cliff all rolled up in one. We'll finish goofing up the planet in XX years and come to some kind of low boil once more. Then, single-cell life will re-emerge (again) in XXX years, the dinosaurs or similar will walk again in XXXX years, then us, then ta-da! Alfa will re-arrive at a re-combobulated US shoreline in the year YYYY.

Hippy Holi-daze

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
we are lemmings and the proverbial cliff all rolled up in one
ARRGGGHHH!!!

Lemmings do not, I say again, do not run off cliffs by themselves.
Pure myth started by the Disney corporation when the film crew needed something more exciting to show besides little rats eating grass and bugs, so herded them off the cliff and filmed it which in turn caused a bunch of morons from decades gone by to actually believe that a Disney film was an educational documentary film.

Though in retrospect, we ourselves are kinda being herded toward the cliff by those with significantly more power, so perhaps in that context its a correct comparision.

But to still believe lemmings do a death dive en masse deliberately is utter foolishness and completely undermines any argument one may present as a comparitor becuase if someone is dumb enough to believe there is a little critter out there that deliberately practices mass suicide and who spout it to others as 'truth', they are dumb enough to believe and say pretty much anything.

This re~educational moment has been brought to you in part by the SoftDog corporation, Jerky Treats, excess caffeine, and viewers like you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just downloaded James Delingpole's Watermelon: The Green Movements True Colors for my iPad / iPhone I'm enjoying the read so faR :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
ARRGGGHHH!!!

Lemmings do not, I say again, do not run off cliffs by themselves.
Pure myth started by the Disney corporation when the film crew needed something more exciting to show besides little rats eating grass and bugs, so herded them off the cliff and filmed it which in turn caused a bunch of morons from decades gone by to actually believe that a Disney film was an educational documentary film.

Though in retrospect, we ourselves are kinda being herded toward the cliff by those with significantly more power, so perhaps in that context its a correct comparision.

But to still believe lemmings do a death dive en masse deliberately is utter foolishness and completely undermines any argument one may present as a comparitor becuase if someone is dumb enough to believe there is a little critter out there that deliberately practices mass suicide and who spout it to others as 'truth', they are dumb enough to believe and say pretty much anything.

This re~educational moment has been brought to you in part by the SoftDog corporation, Jerky Treats, excess caffeine, and viewers like you.
Sandwiched in the middle of yer response is my point. That is (wiki here) "lemming suicide is a frequently used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences". Climate change denial has consequences. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Climate change denial has consequences. Just my opinion, of course

I don't know anybody who denies that climates change. I mean, it was warmer a few months ago and now it's colder---that's certainly climate change. But, of course, I don't think that's what you mean. If I may elaborate a little on your words it's the politicized meaning of climate change and the anticedent demands for government mandated lifestyle changes that is the problem. My contention is that "climate change" as a political issue has a lot more to do with symbolizing the discontent of alineated segments of the population than with any meaningful concern that if things get to hot we're all gonna die. The argument isn't helped much by bogus "hockey stick" correlations, "Cap and Trade" economics (for us and not them), and worries about whether our "carbon footprints" are too large.

Accepting (as I am willing to do) that we may be looking at a real problem of some sort these "solutions" are about as silly as thinking that banning strong drink (National Prohibition) would rid the country of drunkeness and cure dysfunctional families.

But as symbolic reference points contrasting one group's idea of a proper lifestyle with another's more problematic lifestyle (that's us---the middle class) they are just about perfect. When government treats these symbolic issues as hard facts it's not only bad politics, it's social irresponsibility. But, then, that's never stopped activists and politicians from running off that cliff. :)

1601 - 1620 of 2954 Posts