Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2581 - 2600 of 2967 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hey, you get to cherry pick your scientists and we get to cherry pick ours!
You probably believed the political experts 2 years ago who said the Donald Trump would never be President......
You aren't picking scientists. You are picking political commentators playing scientist. A common theme among climate denialists is that they are either scientists in completely unrelated disciplines, or they are making claims that are much smaller than political commentators present them as. Besides, I haven't seen any links to published research by denialists anywhere in this thread. Lots of blog posts and editorials. No research.

I followed 528 fairly closely during election season. They were actually very explicit that while their models showed Hillary had an edge, Trump had a very real chance of winning it. The problem was that the national vote was very well polled (and the election was +/- 1pt of the national polling aggregation), but polling in the midwest was of fairly low quality. So no, I didn't believe Trump would never be president (especially after the Wikileaks and Comey nonsense). In fact, I have an outstanding bet with my brother in law that he will be reelected. The stakes are a bottle of fine scotch.

I'm truly not the wide eyed liberal you seem to assume I am. I'm a moderate, and I even work in oil and gas.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You keep arguing with someone else who isn’t present.

Never have I mentioned Bill Nye. He had a fun kids show 30 years ago, but I don’t find his voice particularly helpful today. He’s not a scientist but a TV personality.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
In its various permutations, warmism tends to focus almost exclusively on effecting change through controlling behavior. Writ large, the various domains of climate change activism tend to behave like lifestyle oriented social movements, the dominating feature of which is---wait for it folks---social status. People who strongly identify with warmism embrace reform agendas that emphasize lifestyle changes which reflect their collective views of what a proper society should look like. Simply put, they want to "nudge" (to quote Cass Sunstein) their cultural enemies---the people who refuse to reflect and honor their values---to behave in ways that reassure them that their values, and therefore their social standing is society, are valid and superior. They argue that only by coercing people into acting right can the climate be "saved".

The inherent fallacy in this collective viewpoint is found in history. Historically when faced with delimmas like climate change, human societies invent new technologies to solve their problems. Unfortunately technological innovations don't play favorites and so people who are anxious that their values aren't being properly respected are often bereft of the tangible evidence they need to feel that they still matter.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Some people just don't get out much, and choose not to look.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts

ONCE MORE WITH FEELING:

It is absolutely irrelevant what the temperature is outside your window or whether you had a hot or cold season in your area of the world.
Please re-read my post #2573.
What I wrote about cosmic rays and warming has prevailed since there was enough of a planet to call it Earth.
This and its cooling phases will prevail so long as there is a solar system.
Physics and geology know no time limits.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Hey, you get to cherry pick your scientists and we get to cherry pick ours!
You probably believed the political experts 2 years ago who said the Donald Trump would never be President......
Made the call and published it.
You might Google:

Bob Hoye American Spring

Published for July 4, 2016.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Well, so far the Global cooling deniers have been consistently wrong.....
so we've got that going for us....
And AOC says we only have 12 years (not 100) 'till the end. Dare to say I should be around to confirm that she is a fruit loop!

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,271 Posts
And AOC says we only have 12 years (not 100) 'till the end. Dare to say I should be around to confirm that she is a fruit loop!
I did not say we had 100 years, I just said none of us would be around to celebrate.

As @Subtle states, "Physics and geology know no time limits." It's absolutely true. I would probably add Chemistry to the list as well.

I think the conversation about whether the earth is warming or cooling is humorous. I find it as humorous as "fracking causes cancer" or "fracking causes earthquakes". The one I find the most humorous is fracking causes rivers to move". But, I am off topic.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Simply repeating the same argument about what Time Magazine said over 30 years ago over and over again (which I debunked extensively) does not make it any stronger.

And I do not understand the obsession with a Junior Congresswoman. There are 235 Democrats in the House. Why post about her ad-nauseum? Given her position, she has very little actual political power.

You guys are spending so much time and effort arguing against an imaginary or absent opponent... I suppose it's easy to "win" a debate against someone who can't argue back and you can make say anything you want.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Please re-read my post #2573.
What I wrote about cosmic rays and warming has prevailed since there was enough of a planet to call it Earth.
This and its cooling phases will prevail so long as there is a solar system.
Physics and geology know no time limits.
Well, if that's the case, why are you so concerned with the lake temperature in Michigan?

Really, you are conflating two separate things: 1) whether the earth is warming, and 2) what is causing it to warm. If you contend that solar activity is what's causing it to warm, that's a separate argument. But the solar thesis has been examined and mostly eliminated as a candidate. The rapidity of the current change far exceeds any pre-industrial historic caused. I even posted I nice diagram a few months ago showing this, but I will post it again:

OK, now there is a THIRD issue which is also being conflated in your argument against an imaginary opponent: 3) What warming will happen in the future?

THAT is the providence of computer models, Al Gore's warnings, etc.

THEN there is a FORTH issue: 4) what actions should be taken as a result of the projections. THAT'S where it gets into politics. But the problem is the denialists are putting the cart before the horse. They don't like what some politicians and personalities say about Issue 4, so they choose believe anything about items 1 and 2 that leads away from conclusions they don't like to items 3 and 4. Motivated reasoning.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
They don't like what some politicians and personalities say about Issue 4, so they choose believe anything about items 1 and 2 that leads away from conclusions they don't like to items 3 and 4. Motivated reasoning.
I think that being deeply suspicious of totalitarian "solutions" (see Agenda 21) is a perfectly legitimate point of argument. Simply put: my freedom and liberty is worth more than your need to feel valued and safe.

2581 - 2600 of 2967 Posts