Alfa Romeo Forums banner

2141 - 2160 of 2929 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Oh sorry. My bad. You're a true NON-believer so facts don't matter. Totally different.
Actually facts do matter, something that's been the core topic of this decade long discussion. Correlational inferences which---along with the statistical models on which they are based---can be relatively easily challenged on methodological grounds. Inferences, "informed" suppositions, are not facts.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Didn't Obummer say he would stop the rise in oceans ??
Ya know, we should be able to trust a community organizer ...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Two volcanoes just pushed enough ash in the air to cancel out any perceived global warming. So everyone's worries are over.
Maserati guy...what model do you have? I had a 425 but the p.o. created more problems than solutions so I sold it to a collector as he had more time and $$$ to fully restore. Not a great driving car (compared to the 164) but lovely to look at and wonderful engine.
Regarding the global warming-cooling topic, some of the prior comments are getting way too confusing to deal with but rest assured that as maintaining a straight discussion or parallel discussions on such a topic is very difficult, nothing will be solved soon.
I do think that there is a massive industry centered around "warming" and that much of it has been created by governments that are trying to create jobs in a slow growing job market, Think of it this way:
Need to find voters so you create a situation, offer a solution and reap the benefits.
Is this proof of "no warming"? No.
It may or may not be happening and as data can be focused or stretched or warped to fit whatever view one has, we just don't know.
If it is happening, the causes are unclear. This is more frightening as it may worsen and not having a clear understanding of the cause will negate a solution.
If it is not happening, why the turmoil and who is benefiting?
I thing of the money that has been given out for "green" grants and wonder if that money is simply coming from "carbon" taxes and fees.
So, one branch of the govt. takes more money and the other gives it to someone else and all of this may be based on a non-occurring issue.
But hey, if the government "creates" xxxxxx thousands of jobs, will that government ever admit a mistake? No, they use that statistic on the campaign trail without mentioning that taxes are paying for it anyway... kind of a government subsidy with mentioning the word "subsidy".

None of this negates the sinking land masses (or raising water....same effect) but the causes of those issues are debatable. It's like saying "my tire blew out because I exceeded 100kph so I had better not exceed 100kph". Perhaps the problem was a bad tread or defect? The speed simply amplified the problem.

You can't melt an iceberg quickly from the top down as quickly as from the bottom up. Global "warming" does not cause volcanic activity.
Perhaps the best course of action would be to clamp down hard on general pollutants that screw up the air and water and farming land as those would have a more immediate effect on our ability to stay healthy and fed.

One quick note: I was watching a documentary on small tribes located around Madagascar and other south-seas islands. Fascinating stuff. In one case, a small tribe of island dwellers were mentioning how the fish stocks were dwindling. The senior member expressed how he used to go out as a Young man, fish for the morning and catch enough for a few days. Now, he goes out and barely catches enough to feed his family for that day. The "scientist"-turned narrator looked glum and then mentioned the need for "population control" if these tribes were to survive. The next scene was of an international trawler dragging a net in and showed how much of the catch was unusable and discarded. So....rich nations drag the sea floors and cause dwindling stock and lowly tribes have to practice birth control? I lost all respect for that scientist on that day. Follow the money, folks.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Since March, there have been a number of articles about the drastic melting of the Greenland Ice Sheet.
Of course, the "Unscientific American" joined in.
Fortunately, the Danish Met Institute keeps track of the ice mass on a Daily basis.

http://www.dmi.dk/uploads/tx_dmidatastore/webservice/b/m/s/d/e/accumulatedsmb.png

It has been above the mean since August. Over the past three weeks, it has been well above the mean.
So the article-writers have not been looking at the data. Nor, it seems, have their subscribers.
The "melt" season ends in late July. The angle of the sun starts to diminish quite quickly. And, really, what else would explain the change from melting to freezing?
:)

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I'll pose a question.
If the CO2 station in Hawaii is reading 400 ppm and the wind blows to the west, chances are the reading in Edmonton would be roughly the same. After all, CO2 is causing as well as distributing "global warming".
Even on a winter's day, it would still read 400 ppm in the Northern Windy City.
But the temperature in Hawaii would be, say, 30 C.
On the same day, it would be -30 C in Edmonton.
Why the difference?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ah, the ever present fallback of a conservative with nothing left to say. "It's all Obama's fault!". Pathetic.

It does get old...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here we go grab the popcorn

Maserati guy...what model do you have? I had a 425 but the p.o. created more problems than solutions so I sold it to a collector as he had more time and $$$ to fully restore. Not a great driving car (compared to the 164) but lovely to look at and wonderful engine.
Regarding the global warming-cooling topic, some of the prior comments are getting way too confusing to deal with but rest assured that as maintaining a straight discussion or parallel discussions on such a topic is very difficult, nothing will be solved soon.
I do think that there is a massive industry centered around "warming" and that much of it has been created by governments that are trying to create jobs in a slow growing job market, Think of it this way:
Need to find voters so you create a situation, offer a solution and reap the benefits.
Is this proof of "no warming"? No.
It may or may not be happening and as data can be focused or stretched or warped to fit whatever view one has, we just don't know.
If it is happening, the causes are unclear. This is more frightening as it may worsen and not having a clear understanding of the cause will negate a solution.
If it is not happening, why the turmoil and who is benefiting?
I thing of the money that has been given out for "green" grants and wonder if that money is simply coming from "carbon" taxes and fees.
So, one branch of the govt. takes more money and the other gives it to someone else and all of this may be based on a non-occurring issue.
But hey, if the government "creates" xxxxxx thousands of jobs, will that government ever admit a mistake? No, they use that statistic on the campaign trail without mentioning that taxes are paying for it anyway... kind of a government subsidy with mentioning the word "subsidy".

None of this negates the sinking land masses (or raising water....same effect) but the causes of those issues are debatable. It's like saying "my tire blew out because I exceeded 100kph so I had better not exceed 100kph". Perhaps the problem was a bad tread or defect? The speed simply amplified the problem.

You can't melt an iceberg quickly from the top down as quickly as from the bottom up. Global "warming" does not cause volcanic activity.
Perhaps the best course of action would be to clamp down hard on general pollutants that screw up the air and water and farming land as those would have a more immediate effect on our ability to stay healthy and fed.

One quick note: I was watching a documentary on small tribes located around Madagascar and other south-seas islands. Fascinating stuff. In one case, a small tribe of island dwellers were mentioning how the fish stocks were dwindling. The senior member expressed how he used to go out as a Young man, fish for the morning and catch enough for a few days. Now, he goes out and barely catches enough to feed his family for that day. The "scientist"-turned narrator looked glum and then mentioned the need for "population control" if these tribes were to survive. The next scene was of an international trawler dragging a net in and showed how much of the catch was unusable and discarded. So....rich nations drag the sea floors and cause dwindling stock and lowly tribes have to practice birth control? I lost all respect for that scientist on that day. Follow the money, folks.

I had a 1980 Merak SS FOR 15 years. Great car, overall very reliable, other than usual old car issues. I drove it about 50,000 miles in those years. But eventually I wanted something more usable and now have an '83 spider and a '69 Giulia.
My comment about the volcanoes is that after Krakatoa there was a documented and drastic cooling due to the ash that, that eruption put out. So then goes to reason that two smaller eruptions, (plus other small ones over the past few years..Philppines plus) that the subsequent ash will lead to a cooling.
I do not believe in any substantial man made global warming. If one volcano has the power of thousands of hydrogen bombs, then the Earth has far more power than we have to impact it. If all of those people and governments who cry global warming/riding seas believed it why would they invest so heavily in their coastal regions. If NY is going to be under water in 2015 and all the ice caps will be melted by ...'uh, now clearly those "experts" don't know what they are talking about. In the 1970's they were warning us about the upcoming ice age!
I'm sorry but there are many more things we should worry about for the future and the Earth than a theory in which we know the early data, (forget the English universities name) had their emails exposed which discussed fixing their data to meet their desired outcome.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
I opened this thread accidentally and thought I was in the Joke thread. My bad. Without being too judgemental [SARC], I really do have to question the intellectual capability of the believers after NOTHING predicted over the past 20 years has come to pass. Florida is still afloat, NJ still floods in a noreaster, there are more polar bears and overall the same amount of ice. Do they realize how asinine this makes them look? ABOVE ALL, the last few years has exposed the massive frauds AND INTELLECTUAL CRIMES that have been perpetrated by the practicing believer community and profiteers. Simple common sense about the power of a modest volcano or sunspots cited above should be enough practical proof that we ain't doodley squat. If anything the actual data and empirical info shows little to nothing and it simply cannot be correlated to man's activity. And from an engineering standpoint - there is absolutely nothing you can do short of crawling into a cave and that would be mighty crowded nowadays. My recommendation if you want a warm squishy feeling is to rent a boat and cleanup the two garbage floats in the Pacific and then solve Fukashima which is a real deal breaker. We need to focus limited resources on REAL problems and not your wet dreams.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
On another site, I see that the weather forecast for the next few weeks in the Arctic is for somewhat cooler than normal.
A few weeks ago I looked at the DMI plot of Daily Arctic temps, current, against the mean line. It got above freezing at the right week (around June 10). At around August 23rd, it turns down--back to freezing.
The DMI Greenland rate of ice melt typically reaches its seasonal max in the 3rd week of July and heads back to a seasonal net accumulation of ice.
Then the DMI chart of the mass ice balance for Greenland declines from late May (not showing yet) into the middle of August and then turns up. Will it turn up in September?
The chart of sea ice THICKNESS, not extent, is the greatest in a decade.
All these measures are unaltered when posted and are in agreement. The overall story should be widely reported. Of course, without corrupting the numbers.

In 2008, James Hansen, the "Father" of climate hysteria, predicted that the Arctic Ocean would be free of ice by the summer of 2018--Ooops, not going to make it this year.
:)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
I'm glad Bob you come in behind me to fill in my sweeping generalizations with the facts and figures; thanks for the assist wingman! You rock.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I opened this thread accidentally and thought I was in the Joke thread. My bad. Without being too judgemental [SARC], I really do have to question the intellectual capability of the believers after NOTHING predicted over the past 20 years has come to pass. Florida is still afloat, NJ still floods in a noreaster, there are more polar bears and overall the same amount of ice. Do they realize how asinine this makes them look? ABOVE ALL, the last few years has exposed the massive frauds AND INTELLECTUAL CRIMES that have been perpetrated by the practicing believer community and profiteers. Simple common sense about the power of a modest volcano or sunspots cited above should be enough practical proof that we ain't doodley squat. If anything the actual data and empirical info shows little to nothing and it simply cannot be correlated to man's activity. And from an engineering standpoint - there is absolutely nothing you can do short of crawling into a cave and that would be mighty crowded nowadays. My recommendation if you want a warm squishy feeling is to rent a boat and cleanup the two garbage floats in the Pacific and then solve Fukashima which is a real deal breaker. We need to focus limited resources on REAL problems and not your wet dreams.
We get it, it is "god's will" Thanks for clearing that up.

And record heat waves year after year along with the rising number of heat-related deaths in Seattle and other cities in the northwest being reported is all just is more fake news. We get it.

Wingnuts of the world unite and together you will lay bare the hoax that is global warming. We get it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Isn't most sea ice under the surface? Isn't the result of melting ice, contraction?
On a separate plane, I'm surprised the seas have remained as stable as they have. Watch any stream as it rises. It turns color with sediment and sediment is a solid. Solid, and heavier than water, which it displaces. Thousands of streams and rivers, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year are pouring solids into the oceans, which says something about their enormity.
Build more dredges!

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Out in the Great Plains, the rivers and streams flow slowly carrying a lot of silt and mud.
A farmer looks at a river and says:
"Too thick to drink and too thin to plow."

2141 - 2160 of 2929 Posts