Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there are some other newbies - like me - floating around and I was wondering if the club ever does a Tech Day sort of thing... We do them once in a while on the MG / TRs and they seem to be a hit.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Tech days

Not really a big hit with us. Our So Cal club will try one every few years and about 4 people are interested (I guess most of us know everything??).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'll if y'all know everything that makes you go-to people for coaching then. Grin. OK Paul - seemed like it was worth asking.

Hope to see you on the road.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We did a Weber tech session after the Chili Cookoff last year. The group was small, but enthusiastic, and would have stayed for hours.

Your best bet is to let us know what car/problem you have. There are several actve members who do their own work and are quite knowledgable.

Mike R

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Tech stuff not that popular?

Following up on what Il Presidente Mike just posted:
Seeing that tech topics are not popular with members, it is interesting to note that tech problems is exactly the reason 50 years ago that AROSC and certainly the founding Alfa Owners Club chapter Chicago, were started. 2 guys who owned Guiletta Spiders and their dealers did not have any service help. They got together, found a service tech guy who had read the Alfa manuals and they started fixing problems like the correct gear oil in the trans.
My guess is that our Alfas range from completely manual 1950's to mostly electronic 164s, transaxle to front wheel drive, not a great number of folks seem to be interested enough to show up.
However, on most of our tours we usualy manage 1 "tech session" along the way:

• how to get your battery reattached when the hot lead hardware falls off in Joshua Tree Monument
  • what to do when your 164 cooling system fans stop working in Tehachapi and you need to drive home to Dana Point (leave early in the morning and do not stop till your driveway).
  • Duetto charging system is not really required if you have a long extension cord and a battery charger, and some patient friends
Mike was smart enough to give his Weber clinic as part of last year's Chile Cookoff. Sort of slipped it in while we were finishing our chile.
Hmmmmmmm, maybe there is a chance for another tech clinic . . . . .

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, on most of our tours we usually manage 1 "tech session" along the way
Ha! That happens on our MG and TR outings as well. No doubt the Berlina I am waking up will present plenty of side of the road tech session opportunities going forward.

For the record, I'm not asking because I have any specific Berlina issues right now (or am looking for free help) just that I've found these to be fun and useful events. Not sure how many other new to Alfa folks are out there in SoCal, but I'd sure be game whatever the topic. Initially all I'd be able to contribute if being good at handling beverage requests...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts