Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I bought the Centerline part number BH185 because it is the brake hard line kit they sell for 1971-94 on GTV/Spiders. I bought it because I thought it would save me the effort of cutting lengths of tubing and making the flared fittings. I was wrong.

Has anyone bought and fitted the lines in the kit on one the cars that Centerline is advertising that they fit?

While the flares are well made the kit I received was incomplete in that there weren't the correct number of lines in it to replace all of the hard lines that are in the U.S. version of the left-hand drive GTV 2000.

There are four lengths of tubing missing from the box that Centerline shipped to me:
  • two lines that go from the MC to the four port distribution block mounted low on the right inner fender. They are each about 100 cm long with SAE flares on both ends
  • one line that goes from this block to the right front brake. That line is circa 57 cm long.
  • one line that goes from the distribution block to the female union that connects the 200 cm length of line that runs to the rear of the car. This line has SAE flares on each end.
I called Centerline and told them this and I was told that, yeah, well we buy this kit from Germany and we don't know anything about them. SO TRUE. There is no documentation with the kit, not even a parts list.

Centerline, is there any chance that I was shipped an incomplete kit?

Centerline, please respond to my email message which contains the same statements that I am making here.

After waiting two weeks for Centerline to respond to my email I bought fittings and pipe from Fed Hill to finish the job.

BTW, looking at the brake line schematics for the 105 GTV it doesn't appear that this kit is correct for this model Alfa either.

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
This a common problem. I bought a premade set for my Tiger and various of them are too long.
ClassicTube in NY has premade sets, and will custom-make a set a set from ones you mail them. They did a 1900 set for me, was perfect.
Andrew

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Andy. I forgot about them.

A couple of decades ago I bought several brake line kits from them for my Jaguar saloons.

I have an Alfa spider in my care that is off the road because of brake failure. Among other things, it needs new hard lines. I'll see what ClassicTube has for this car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
21,127 Posts
On the 1900, they didn't have a premade set, but I took them all off and mailed them. They made a perfect set for $300. Long ones you bend to fit in a box, or cut on a diagonal so they can see the orientation of bends.

Andrew

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion. There were ten lengths of precut and flared and nutted Cunifer lines in the kit I bought from Centerline last month.

The image I attached shows only the four lines that I can't find a spot for on my 115.01 GTV. Not shown, but I guess I should have, is a 162 cm length of Cunifer tubing that has a DIN flare on one end and an SAE on the other but with the wrong nuts. I have found no place to fit this line in the braking circuit on the car I am working on.

The kit did contain a 200 cm length that is correctly flared and fitted on both ends that I can use for the run coupler up front to the bias valve in the back.

The is a 34 cm line that in the kit that I can use to connect the bias value to flex line coupling. There are two lines that are close enough in length and correctly flared and fitted that I can use them for the runs from the brass tee mounted to the diff to the rear wheel calipers.

So the total is: Ten lines received, five lines fit, five lines don't, and four lines are missing.

Centerline is off my list of vendors that I'll buy parts from.
Bob

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just spent a couple hours trying to figure this out. Did search here to see if i’ve Lost my mind.

I purchased this kit a couple years ago, Just now opened it up and started to work on it. Maybe I’ll just start over, I’m missing 5 lines, 1 line is too long, and 2 lines are too short. What a waist of time.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
A bit disconcerting as I will be going shopping for this stuff. Seems they need to respond publicly. I always try to support more than one supplier and CI is fading from my list. I went to buy a door wedge for only the left door (among other things) and I could only buy a pair because they buy them that way for 6 times what I could buy a single for in the UK which was cheaper and faster shipping even to the US. Just the differnce in this one silly part cancelled my entire order. Maybe they don't realize that little things like this get packaged with bigger things and they aren't helping themselves with this attitude. The CHAT thing on line is another bad idea. I want to speak to a person so why do they encourage that method of contact? Lastly, the website search page is pretty lousy too IMO. This has to be a relationship business. It's not Amazon.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
As has been mentioned here many times.....A lot of Centerlines parts are very poor quality or are just the wrong items!
Alfa Parts in Berkely is much better and the euro vendors like Highwood or OKParts can do a much better job.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
As has been mentioned here many times.....A lot of Centerlines parts are very poor quality or are just the wrong items!
Alfa Parts in Berkely is much better and the euro vendors like Highwood or OKParts can do a much better job.
Don't know about quality comparisons.. I think we all assume they buy a high percentage of parts, especially reman, from the same sources. I know OKP tends to commission production of some stuff for only themselves to their own high standards. Hein Brand tends to stay OEM, Alfaholics tends to specialize in their own stuff.. and on and on.. Shifting gears, it's just not good business to blame the product shortcomings one distributes on the source.. We've heard many times.. "We sell a lot of those and never have returns." Could be they never get installed, are waiting months and years on the shelf of the customer to get to and ultimately end up in the waste bin for less hassle.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I agree that the Bulletin is good for transfer of information and many reproduction parts are not as good as the original parts. I am glad that there are many parts suppliers or repair and restoration would be extremely expensive and difficult to undertake. I tell all of my car collector friends that finding parts for any old car can be very difficult. I have had to make parts and you should see how much it costs and that is why many restoration shops will not restore your Alfa.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had "problems" with my Centerline kit, the main line from the front of the car to the back was too long to fit on the brake proportioner without modification. I decided to coil that line it a couple of times (create a few "stress loops") and got it done. Eventually decided to remove the proportioner all together, so it worked out great.

Like any other project I dove in with the mentality that things won't be ideal, and will need some fabrication or creative problem-solving. That's usually a good idea.

The lines could use some labeling and instructions (there are 10mm and 3/16" fittings in the same kit. The "Tee" takes 3/16", not metric, silly stuff like that.) and there is really a lot of conflicting, confusing info on the forums so trial and error is something you just gotta live past.

Honestly, a bit over $100 for cut & flared CuNifer lines with the right fittings? It's a flippin' steal, I just dealt with the issues and am fairly happy overall. No trips to the auto parts store needed, the little labor I had to put in was more then offset by the LOTS of labor I would have to go through without pre-cut and flared lines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts