Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a power probe and applied power directly to my heater blower motor. It turned feebly for a few minutes at high speed, then stopped. I have a spare that I bought 2nd hand that seems to work fine, but it seems pretty mediocre, even at high speed.

I'm wondering if any of the newer units that you can find at IAP and other places spin faster (stronger?) to provide more airflow...they look like different units. Any thoughts?

I think that I'll go the dash removal route on this one. Not looking forward to draining coolant though, but I guess that it must be done.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Fan motor R&R ain't for sissy's!

Hello John5331i,

While I can't speak to the efficiency of the second-hand fan motor you tested, I believe you will agree the considerable effort involved in removing your current motor would justify the expense of a new unit.

All the best.

·
Registered
264 Posts
^^^ +1

I agree with SteveW, for the effort involved in getting to the blower it only makes sense to install a new one.

I replaced mine last year w/o removing the dash, and it was a PIA or sure !!

I bought a new blower from Centerline, that certainly looks nicer than the OEM:

The OEM fan in my car never worked when I took possession of the car, so I can't comment on how the new one works in comparison. I will say that the new blower seems to move plenty of air, but it is very noisy when it runs.

Once the car is warm I generally turn off the fan and let the ram air do the work until I stop at a traffic light, then I turn on the blower until I get moving again.

With a working blower motor the Alfa seems to have a plenty strong heater, but I've never driven mine much below 32F.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I am interested in the idea of just removing the bottom of the box, but then if the motor isn't centered right, the fan will rub on something. I can test and adjust if I have the whole box out, I'm thinking. This is especially important if I need to press on the old plastic fan, and it's not on all the way, or too far in...I can power it up outside the car and test it out with the power probe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
John,

There are many threads about replacing the blower motor from the bottom, here is mine:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/268650-success-removed-blower-motor-today.html

You will note that I had a small problem with the fan hitting the base, but it has worked it self out by rubbing in. There really isn't much choice on how to center the fan, it fits in some clips and that is all there is too it.

The fan that I bought from Centerline included the fan, so that part of the equation was taken care of for me.

Good Luck !!

-Steve

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can attest to the fact that the blower in my 88 grad is a bit of a slouch. I figured that just the way it was going to be. The fresh air vents will blow your hat off and the heater vents barely blow even on high speed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steve, that's the thread I remember. But you say that it wore itself in...but it's still really noisy?

Where did you start the carpet cut- passenger side and pull over to drivers'? Use a box knife?

·
Registered
264 Posts
John,

If you watched the video link in the previous thread the "click click click" sound is gone, but the fan still makes the rest of the noise in the video. I don't think anything is wrong, that's just the way it is.

Yes, I cut with a box cutter.

Yes, I think I cut the carpet on the passenger side, but it doesn't really matter, that section of the carpet is covered by the side panels anyway.

-Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts