Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry just a quick question but my mechanic is planning to change my engine oil pump and he told me it's an engine out job. If he removes the engine does that mean he has to remove the center console in the car as well? I just thought about this now because I realized if he pulls engine out he probably has to pull the gear box out as well and that means the gear shift as well (i think).

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
It is possible to remove the engine and leave the gearbox in place but many people prefer to remove the engine and transmission together. I once removed just the engine and I had a hard time lining up the gearbox input shaft with the engine when I replaced it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you removed the engine and gearbox did you have to remove the center console?

·
Administrator
12,522 Posts
I think yes is your answer as there are rubber boots that seal where the gear shift lever goes through the gearbox tunnel metal work.

I thought (assumed/dreamed/guessed) though that you could remove an oil pump by just removing the lower sump pan ... ?

EDIT: Yes I was right: Oil pump removal
Pete

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
when you removed the engine and gearbox did you have to remove the center console?
You have to disconnect the gear shift from the stub on the gearbox. I have heard claims that this can be done from the underside without removing the console but that is beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think yes is your answer as there are rubber boots that seal where the gear shift lever goes through the gearbox tunnel metal work.

I thought (assumed/dreamed/guessed) though that you could remove an oil pump by just removing the lower sump pan ... ?

EDIT: Yes I was right: Oil pump removal
Pete
THANK YOU!!! I was having anxiety about the whole engine out thing but after your post i told my mechanic about it and he was able to swap out the oil pump without having to pull the whole engine out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts