Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be having my head redone (port/polish, OS valves & new cams) over the winter. Some people are of the opinion that you should put in new followers when you change cams. I'm sure the experts here have opinions on this practice. Please share ;-)

Thanks...

·
Registered
145 Posts
If your cam followers have no streaking or irregularities across the face then there is no reason to replace them.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
just my too-sense...

If one improves the flow of the head by porting and polishing,increasing valve size,etc... doesn't it make sense to match the wear surface of a new cam lobe to a new cam follower?
At the microscopic level, there IS wear between these surfaces. Absolutely needed or necessary? Of course not! But if it were me...

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... the guy who suggested it builds really good Formula Ford engines, so I had a feeling it was probably a good idea.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I once had a camshaft eat through a very old cam-follower, causing damage to both valve and cam (most perculiarly kept driving like this for 3 weeks).

Renew them complete, it's really not such a big expense.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
And valve springs ... they get old and tired too ;)

Pete

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am definately getting the high performance valve springs! Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should get the very pricey Kent cams and springs, or the C&B (12mm) items.
Thanks for all the input folks!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
alfajim said:
If your cam followers have no streaking or irregularities across the face then there is no reason to replace them.
I change my underwear frequently, even if it doesn't have streaking or irregularities :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts