Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from my "new" 92 164S. It leaves a puddle when it gets parked and there was a bit of steam after I got it home.......:(

I fully expect to do some work on this to get it reliable. It has been sitting for about a year I believe in the previous owners driveway.

The first pic is the general area, the blue square is where the second pic has an arrow pointing to where there is a steady, small stream of water running down. Is the water pump the most likely place?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
This is from my "new" 92 164S. It leaves a puddle when it gets parked and there was a bit of steam after I got it home.......:(

I fully expect to do some work on this to get it reliable. It has been sitting for about a year I believe in the previous owners driveway.

The first pic is the general area, the blue square is where the second pic has an arrow pointing to where there is a steady, small stream of water running down. Is the water pump the most likely place?

Yeah, looks that way. Might need a new front mount too and serp bearing. But you expected this I am sure. Do the waterpump, timing belt and tensioner all at the same time.

Jason

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
And get the two little hoses for the thermostat housing to head connections at the same time. Don't skimp on those things. But you knew that....

Michael

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And get the two little hoses for the thermostat housing to head connections at the same time. Don't skimp on those things. But you knew that....

Michael

Yeah.......I've got a list of about $357.47 worth of parts..... :eek:

That's okay though, I knew this before we bought the car. I just hope all the parts are in stock!!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Could also be from the thermostat housing "sandwich" directly above as well, those 3 long thin thermostat bolts are notorious for stripping and/or breaking and there are 3 gaskets up there involved as well (upper W/P, lower housing and upper housing just below the thermostat. Sounds like your going to have to get into it to see what's up. :eek:
Charles

·
Premium Member
15,552 Posts
Also, above the idler pulley, there is a short rubber coolant hose. Might be wise to change that as well, as I had one go out no long ago from old age and being messed with by a previous "hammer mechanic" owner.

Keep in mind that there are two different diameter sizes for this hose, depending on...what, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Also, above the idler pulley, there is a short rubber coolant hose. Might be wise to change that as well, as I had one go out no long ago from old age and being messed with by a previous "hammer mechanic" owner.

Keep in mind that there are two different diameter sizes for this hose, depending on...what, I don't know.
You may be referring to engine oil cooler coolant lines if so equipped going to rear of thermostat housings. both the same size 3/8" on earlier engines and one 3/8" and one 1" on later engines with modified heater return tubing.

These hoses have to come off and tubes loosened is bolted down to get rear timing belt cover off.

Looking at his top picture it looks like later engine with lower rear hose being the 1" heater return style.

·
Premium Member
15,552 Posts
No, the large rubber coolant sleeve hose which attaches to the upper end of the metal coolant pipe running across the bottom of the radiator and then up to the thermostat housing;

60510278 or 60560822

I believe the first part number has been replaced by the second which is a little larger in dia, perhaps to make it easier to install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts