Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1600 GTV with crossover intake, pretty much standard, but for headers and electronic pickup in dizzy.
It seems the local auto parts stores and even our beloved UK/US suppliers seem universally to sell 180 degree (ie straight) plug caps, mostly with long risers which makes the HT leads foul the crossover air intake bellows at the rear two cylinders.
I did a bit of YouTubing to see how to make my own leads, and it seems easy enough.
I then went searching for 90 degree plug caps as were originally fitted to my 65 GT, and there are plenty available; mostly with inbuilt resistors, a few without.
I also figured I might go the whole hog and also restore the wire core setup - after all, the originals were still on the car 20 years later, but binned by a non-Alfa mechanic in the 80s who ‘always change them in a service’.
A 2006 post here by JimK kinda supports the idea (see below), but does mention 400 Ohm distributor boots.
So...
  • do I need caps (or dizzy boots) with or without resistors?
  • any brand recommendations?
  • any downside?
Isn’t and won’t be a stereo installed.
TIA.

(Quote: JimK, many moons ago:)
“This plug wire business preoccupied me in the early 80's when I developed my high power CD ignition. To minimize wire loss and especially to preserve the excellent spark rise time features of the CD, I finally settled on a good regular wire core set (16 strands of copper,no carbon) combined with 400 Ohm distributor cap boots and that was that, for the 2liter Alfetta GT. Today,20+ years later, I still use the same scheme in the 75 3liter Motronic. The CD or the wiring (home cut and assembled) don't cause any RFI problems and the 200+mJ spark allows use of Champion N2C plugs(or NGK B9ES as a second choice) in everyday traffic, all year round, for street and track. Bottom line: I can't find any justification for using fancy colored 8,9 or 10mm wires with all kinds of promotional salient 'advantages'.”

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well,
I bought off-the-shelf wire-core set from Classic Alfa, probably for less than I would have paid for individual components to make my own.
The smaller plug boots have taken away the clearance problems with the crossover pipe.
They look good too.
Happy Chappy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts