Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw a thread regarding a DIY repair of inner black plastic windshield trim. If someone knows of it, please post link.
Thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
that was my post... remove all the peices of the inner trim.. hand wirebrush clean.. get some black vinel about 2" to wide, and 2" longer than you need.... get some silicone, clear.. smear the silicone on the inner windsheild frame.. stick the vinel onto the frame, trim the vinel now to 1/2" of the proper fit, tuck the vinel under the rubber windsheild gasket,, a bead of silicone here will help.. now do the bottom side the same way, tuck it in under the windsheild rubber gasket... pretty easy to do.. now before it drys, smooth it out..

·
Out of the office!
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

that was my post... remove all the peices of the inner trim.. hand wirebrush clean.. get some black vinel about 2" to wide, and 2" longer than you need.... get some silicone, clear.. smear the silicone on the inner windsheild frame.. stick the vinel onto the frame, trim the vinel now to 1/2" of the proper fit, tuck the vinel under the rubber windsheild gasket,, a bead of silicone here will help.. now do the bottom side the same way, tuck it in under the windsheild rubber gasket... pretty easy to do.. now before it drys, smooth it out..
Thanks bianchi1, Weren't there pictures illustrating what you did?
Would you mind posting or PM the link to the original thread?:)
Trying to get it back in shape after 3 1/2 years off the road

Attachments

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I haven't tried it on interior trim (yet), but there's a product called Plastex that works incredibly well. It's not really an adhesive, it uses a powder and a solvent and becomes part of the item being repaired. I've repaired things that wouldn't hold together in any other way. It's a bit pricey, but so far it's been worth every penny.

·
Out of the office!
11,200 Posts
I haven't tried it on interior trim (yet), but there's a product called Plastex that works incredibly well. It's not really an adhesive, it uses a powder and a solvent and becomes part of the item being repaired. I've repaired things that wouldn't hold together in any other way. It's a bit pricey, but so far it's been worth every penny.
That's the stuff I was thinking of. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mine came off in pieces since it had cracked with time and efforts to remove. Simply put it back together with equally thin pieces of scrap plastic and some plastic epoxy affixed to the back surface. Worked perfectly although cracks in plastic trim is apparent on close inspection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts