Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I removed the spica and went to carbs there was the bracket that held the air filter canister left on the drivers side inner fender.

Since I didn't want to remove it, my buddy Hamie had an idea for the empty space... A tool kit holder. I loved the idea. So I hunted around for some kind of container like a pasta holder, asparagus cooking pot, abs pipe, PVC pipe, blueprint holder, toilet brush container. I just couldn't find anything.
While at my local walmart I was just wandering the aisles looking for a chrome fire extinguisher for the roll bar. In the same aisle there it was...

A 5" round 3-roll toilet paper holder!
Perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So weeks went by and I couldn't figure out how to shorten it and make the lid removable.
So I went back to Home Depot and found an abs clean out for a 4" pipe. It came with a threaded cap plus it had an o-ring... Didn't think that far ahead when I was planning this.

The OD of the threaded part was the same as the ID of the toilet paper holder if I removed the nibs you see in the pic. So I went to my shop threw it on the lathe, removed the nibs and cut off the rear part. Then I took off the square part of the cap and glued the chrome cap to it. I used a urethane adhesive for this.

Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's the semi-finished product...

I used some zip ties to test it out and padded the bracket with a thin soft weatherstripping which protects the chrome and keeps it from slipping.

Inside shot

So now I'm going thru my wife's closet looking for a thin leather belt she can give up to the cause.
I'm going to try the leather belt route and see how it looks or maybe try the pipe clamps with the thumbscrew on it.
We'll see tomorrow.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can never be too prepared. I've already picked out the tools I wouldn't want to be stranded without.

This and a AAA roadside assistance card.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking for a leather tool roll that I could put the basics in plus replacement bulbs and fuses, flashlight, road flares.
Today's goal is finding a solution for the straps.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I'm done. You might have noticed I've been trying to make the 81 look a bit more vintage. So to attach the tool box I tried the old way they used to hold things down in old cars. Back to walmart kids section I found two small black belts. I shortened them down and cinched the tool box to the existing bracket.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bob,
I am keeping an eye out for another toilet paper roll holder in stainless... I can't believe I just wrote that.
I'm from Vancouver. I miss home. I can't wait to come to one of the car shows out there.
Cheers
Giovanni

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
wife caught you rummaging around the closet looking at her belts eh? This is pretty cool, very creative. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Thanks Bob,
I am keeping an eye out for another toilet paper roll holder in stainless... I can't believe I just wrote that.
I'm from Vancouver. I miss home. I can't wait to come to one of the car shows out there.
Cheers
Giovanni
There is the "Italian-French" show on Father's Day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts