Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wonder how the bumperettes are even taken apart, there are two bolts in the back and many screws at the bottom..
hmmmmmm

Anyways, I ordered those 2x3 rubber rectangular plugs from amazon:

* they will definitely need to be modified in some way.

I was too curious and they are very cheap!

I measured the opening and the pimple bracket as well:
Let us know how this goes. I will be doing something similar myself!
Mo in [Quarantined] NJ

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I installed early stainless bumpers on my 81 I had to do the same thing. I ended up using thick heavy rubber from a truck mud flap.
Cut a piece larger than the hole, rubber cement it in place on the back side, then cut a second piece to fit the hole exactly and quite snug. (Don't be afraid to sand or file the hole to have nice square sides and corners so your hole and the plug fit snugly together) Use black silicone as a filler on the seam lines when you rubber cement the "plug" piece into the hole , remember you are glueing it to the piece you put in the back for support. If you want to further hide the patch give the entire rubber outer a very light sanding with fine grit paper them dress it with silicone spray. Makes the patch **** near invisible.
I'm very happy with my bumper. Can you tell that I plugged the holes? yeah sure if you get on your knees and examine it close up but just standing and looking at the car or walking towards it you would never know. Plus I sourced my used bumper for so much cheaper cause I bought one with the holes that few people want.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
When I installed early stainless bumpers on my 81 I had to do the same thing. I ended up using thick heavy rubber from a truck mud flap.
Cut a piece larger than the hole, rubber cement it in place on the back side, then cut a second piece to fit the hole exactly and quite snug. (Don't be afraid to sand or file the hole to have nice square sides and corners so your hole and the plug fit snugly together) Use black silicone as a filler on the seam lines when you rubber cement the "plug" piece into the hole , remember you are glueing it to the piece you put in the back for support. If you want to further hide the patch give the entire rubber outer a very light sanding with fine grit paper them dress it with silicone spray. Makes the patch **** near invisible.
I'm very happy with my bumper. Can you tell that I plugged the holes? yeah sure if you get on your knees and examine it close up but just standing and looking at the car or walking towards it you would never know. Plus I sourced my used bumper for so much cheaper cause I bought one with the holes that few people want. View attachment 1620141
Wow thank you for all the info!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The second one would be a better fit:

But honestly I regret doing this project because with the holes they look just as ugly as with the “pimples”. Filling in the holes is outside my skill level, so I’ll be thinking of other solutions.

I’ll post a picture here of the final result shortly so you can imagine those lights inside the bumper.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My (admittedly vague) recollection is that the hole is not really square, more trapezoidal, which will make it a challenge to find a reflector/light that fits properly.

·
Registered
927 Posts
My (admittedly vague) recollection is that the hole is not really square, more trapezoidal....
Yes it is. I was going to buy these (they are cheap, as am I), and see how it fits over, not in the hole. If that doesn't look right, I'll try the mudflap trick from Steve88.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts