Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Under construction...

(East coasters may need to spray lubricant on all these fasteners before attempting)

1. Remove outer nuts and washers

2. Hold center grille gently while removing two bolts (top of grille)

3. Loosen inner nuts but do not completely remove them.

4. Set up a catching platform as pictured.

5. Carefully remove inner nuts while holding ENTIRE bumper (both sides)

*take note of two wires still attached.

6. Place entire bumper (yes it is one piece on catching platform).

7. Remove bolt hidden behind the rubber pimple.

8. Reassemble in reverse order.

Pictures coming!

End result:

Part 2 (with the help of the community! How do fill in the small square holes left over by doing this Modification)
Ideas and tips welcome!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a similar issue. I have retrofitted bumpers with the pimples removed, and ugly holes. I am on the lookout for rectangular with bezels lights that may be the right size.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Under construction...

(East coasters may need to spray lubricant on all these fasteners before attempting)

1. Remove outer nuts and washers

2. Hold center grille gently while removing two bolts (top of grille)

3. Loosen inner nuts but do not completely remove them.

4. Set up a catching platform as pictured.

5. Carefully remove inner nuts while holding ENTIRE bumper (both sides)

*take note of two wires still attached.

6. Place entire bumper (yes it is one piece on catching platform).

7. Remove bolt hidden behind the rubber pimple. ..more picks please .. what does this bolt do

8. Reassemble in reverse order.

Pictures coming!

End result:

Part 2 (with the help of the community! How do fill in the small square holes left over by doing this Modification)
Ideas and tips welcome!
What is the "hidden bolt for" ? what is the last photo?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the "hidden bolt for" ? what is the last photo?
The hidden bolt retains the pimple, it is located behind and smack in the middle of the pimple.

I rotate the pimple in these two pictures to give you a better look:

If you study the picture from top to bottom you’ll see exactly how it is all fastened together to the vehicle.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I think I understand. Mine needs a little shimming to pull out one side of my bumper a scosche to flush up the fit to the bumper
001.JPG
002.JPG

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Great idea!
They are also available on amazon so I’ll take some measurements and report back..
The piece looks like a good start and you could taper the edges to make them fit nice and flush around the edges .. Seems like a very simple solution and none are exactly perfect but this looks like the most logical. I searched Rectangular Rubber Plugs on Google

·
Registered
928 Posts
Great idea!
They are also available on amazon so I’ll take some measurements and report back..
I'll be interested in what happens. If you have to buy more than two (these seem to come in packs of 5 or more), I might take two off your hands.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be interested in what happens. If you have to buy more than two (these seem to come in packs of 5 or more), I might take two off your hands.

Let’s all keep each other busy and distracted during these strange and difficult times.

Hope you’re all doing well!

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can replace the whole rubber face of the bumper. I have one side if you'd like to purchase. I found a few sellers through facebook last year so i know they are available in europe and australia.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wonder how the bumperettes are even taken apart, there are two bolts in the back and many screws at the bottom..
hmmmmmm

Anyways, I ordered those 2x3 rubber rectangular plugs from amazon:

* they will definitely need to be modified in some way.

I was too curious and they are very cheap!

I measured the opening and the pimple bracket as well:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Front bumper rubber is not available anywhere ‘new’. I spent the last couple of nights searching the entire web. Please prove me wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NOS is available. I made "wanted" ads all over facebook groups and got some answers. enough to buy two passenger sides and a driver side. there are at least two full sets out there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, that explains it. I don’t do Facebook.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts