Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/176766-what-did-you-do-alfa-related-today-303.html

I've been working on a homemade intake boot and posted in the alfa related thread. Thanks for the comments made there. Here's the continuation of progress.

For anyone just tuning in, I bought a 3.5" ID 30 degree silicone elbow, a 3.5" to 2.75" ID silicone reducer coupling, and some 3.5" OD aluminum tube to make an intake boot. The connecting piping to the vapor separator and idle stabilizer are made from copper plumbing supplies I have laying around.

Here's the progress so far. I combined the two lines small lines into a single tap at the intake tube, so there will be some testing to see if that works.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Richard2 pointed out in the other thread that there is a restrictor in the vapor separator line, so here's what I came up with so far.

The short copper line with the plug in it will be the restrictor. That will get soldered into the correct pipe in the first post. That plug was a 3/8" threaded brass plug. I "machined" it with a file to make it fit in the 1/2" copper pipe.

The 1/2" copper male adapter is the fitting that is threaded into the aluminum tube. That will also get soldered, along with all the pipe. The adapter threaded into the al tube has been cut down shorter so the threads don't protrude into the intake.

The OEM boot is shown with part of a future repair. That will be for another discussion I guess. The small ports on that boot were wrecked. I think the original vapor separator port may just have to be plugged. Not sure where I'll go with that yet. Those pex adapters fit pretty well in the ports though.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Nice work. Are these boots NLA? If so I can probably make some up, either exactly like the originals in epmd, or silicone, which is what I prefer.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! No way. Even with the great guides on this forum, I wouldn't know where to start with that. That's just a cut up rear L strut for some measurements.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it looks like I stole it from from John Force's top fuel car, but it works so far. Soldered it all up tonight and put it together.

Started the car and it stalled. Did that twice, so I disconnected the vapor separator. Started the car and it idled like crap for a bit, but I guess it's a smart car, because it smoothed out in a couple of minutes. I hooked up the vapor separator line and there was no change in idle, so I took it out for a short drive. No problems. Idle is back where it was before, around 1000. Parked it, shut down and restarted, and it idled ok. So more testing this coming week. Power steering is still out, so I have to get on that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Richard! I would like to tone down the clamps! It's a bit much in person.

The startup/stalling thing was interesting to me. I'll never know if it's just those small lines effecting it, or if there's something else happening due to the larger tubing. I wasn't aiming for a performance thing here, but it's telling the computer something different. Similar to MAF swaps on my 5.0. It would always be rough at first and then settle out.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Never seen what 15 pounds of hose clamp looks like. Cross this off the bucket list. You sir are a genius. Still looking for a pic of the flared fitting thing but you appear to have it licked. I dont know how this stuff works but it would be interesting if you can get voltage measurements off the MAF sensor to compare to the old given the different dia of the tube. Complimente!! ciao

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sleeve Around Throttle Body

Forgot one pic. The part I'm not crazy about besides the big clamps...cut about a 1/2" long piece of the aluminum pipe, cut a slit in it, and fit it over the throttle body. Put RTV in the slit and clamped the elbow to the TB. If this ends up permanent, I'll RTV the whole thing to the TB.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OEM Boot Repair

Had some time waiting for paint to dry on a home repair, so I put a new OVS port in the OEM intake boot. Made another restrictor for that line similar to pic posted previously.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
you appear to have this "soldering thing" down to a fine art. Impressed. ciao, chris

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After completing other repairs, I got to put a few miles on the homemade intake boot. The idle just wasn't quite right.

Today I put in a separate port for the idle control. It was previously combined with the oil vapor separator. Much better idle right now with them separated like the original design. Pics to follow later.

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
I am currently working on several projects and one is the L intake boot.

Other rubber items as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts