Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are converting our S3 spider to Weber carbs, looking for a distr. and other bits, throttle linkage, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
A 123ignition distributor is a good choice if your budget will stand it.

·
Super Moderator
11,579 Posts
I usually have restored Bosch iron-body JF-4's if you like points.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like points and carry a file for roadside "tune up's".

The engine is a 1985 spider L-jet being converted to Webers. Will any four cylinder distributor work?

·
Super Moderator
11,579 Posts
The Bosch JF-4 iron body was introduced about 1963-64 by Alfa for performance applications. It was the standard distributor used on all 1600 Veloce engines. In the mid '60's, racers found it worked equally well on the 1300 101 race engines and even 750's. It was used through the 105 series engines into the 1750's with Webers. There was later, an aluminum bodied Bosch JF-4 produced for a while. The JF-4 had only a mechanical advance, and it advance was somewhat adjustable without spring or weight replacement by virtue of an adjustable spring tensioning bracket under the advance mechanism. As a quality Bosch unit of the time, the steel main-shaft bearings were big enough to never to wear out. The Bosch point set could be re-set several times before replacement.
Today, elecrtonic distributors are state-of-the-art, but for those that like distributors with points the JF-4 was hard to beat. This is MY opinion based on my experience with this Bosch distributor on Alfa engines for about 50 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Gordon's distributors have very good advance curves for stock or mildly tuned 2L engines.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been in contact with Gordon and possibly making a deal with him for a used Bosch cast iron unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts