Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was cleaning the contacts on the distributor, I noticed that the rotor had some looseness, wobbles about 1/4 inch in the rotation axis, backwards and forwards. Is this a problem?
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
where is the slop?

where the rotor presses onto the distributor shaft, or does the shaft itself have rotational play? if its the forner then replace the rotor. If its the latter and minor slop I suspect you would be OK -- Not sure what the spec is on that for the 12 V car===

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two allen bolts are fine, the slop is actually the shaft and feels like backlash on the camshaft? (not exactly sure offhand where it engages in the engine).
-Thanks

·
1991 164L
27,692 Posts
The two allen bolts are fine, the slop is actually the shaft and feels like backlash on the camshaft? (not exactly sure offhand where it engages in the engine).
-Thanks
Rotor should have three allen head bolts and some play between floating piece on end of shaft and notch in cam pretty normal.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Since the rotor serves only to distribute the spark, not to time the ignition (no breaker points or pickup) it doesn't matter that the rotor is not accurately located in a rotational sense, and the distributor body isn't adjustable. The rotor tip is also extended to work over the full ignition advance angle range.

In the olden days of 70s cars it was hard to set ignition timing accurately if the distributor shaft was slopping around, because the points would open erratically. So I understand the cause for concern :)

-Alex

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not so sure here whether I agree. Zee Bavarian Alfa mechanic advised me today that the distributor shaft should have very little play. I have just replaced a cap and rotor after maybe 10k miles, and wobbling on the rotor (new rotor, new cap) it seems like there is too much play. May also be the bushing or whatnot. I shall go abouts and replace the bushings and whatnot to see if it improves. I have starting problems, at times, very rarely, and at times also a slight stumble, also very rarely, and I have checked or replaced just about anything else.
I keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts