Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy 2011 everyone
Pulled the distributor on my 67 GTV last weekend and was surprised to see it was a Marelli. I thought it should have been a Bosch. Can someone tell me if this is the correct distributor? And it seems to have quite a bit of wear so I was thinking of replacing it. Is the electronic ignition a good choice for a daily driver and which one?:confused:
Brian

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Brian,

Both Bosch and Marelli are listed as supplying ignition components for these cars, so I guess it would be original.

I fitted a 123ignition to my 1750 some time ago and have been very pleased with the result. My car is used occasionally and only as a 'daily' street car.

Chris

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
I've been happy with the RML dizzy for my 2L

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm also happy with my 123 distributor. I opened the (Bosch) plugs an extra 5 thou, and she starts very well, even standing out in British weather.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks
I see both Centerline and IAP stock their own units. Anyone have experience with these?
Brian

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Yes, thought the first one was broke, returned it and it would not begin to advance until around 2500 which made it undrivable at low rpms, hey sometimes I like to just drive easy and not have to slip the clutch and reving the hell out of the motor just to leave every red light as it turns green. Also two weights and only one spring? give me a break. To their credit they did take the second one back and give me credit.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Also two weights and only one spring? give me a break.
Weights ? Springs ?
The 123ignition is all electronic, very well made and so far, for me at least, functioning perfectly. I also have one in my 1966 Bambino Fiat that I'm very happy with.

I realise that there has been some biff about tuning and advance curves, but for bog standard engines used for daily driving, these units are great.

Chris

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
In our mild climate here, even with a points ignition my car always started fairly easily, usually after 4 or 5 turns of the engine. With the electronic ignition, it fires on the first or second turn. A bit quicker and presumably because of a stronger spark, though I have no measurements or hard data to back up that assumption. I use NGK plugs and a relatively new Bosch coil. I also rebuilt the Webers around the same time that I converted the ignition.
Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
He was talking about the centerline and IAP dizzies "their own units" not the 123, that's what I was reffering to. I found it hard to spring for 400 something bucks for a dizzy that has mulitple advance curves when I'm going to end up using one. The RML is a couple hundred bucks less expensive and has a good curve (for me) so I saved a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a Marelli like you and it was causing problems. Having struggled with the weights getting in the way of even adjusting the points gap I went for the 123. One reason for this was my concern over the state of the existing distributor shaft and other components. I made sense (to me) to renew all this with the 123 system.
It immediately overcame the problems I had been having with the points and seemed to help with starting, although this was not a big issue for me.
Chris

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So gigem, then you are saying either the Centerline or the IAP electronic distributor has weights and a spring?
I see Classic handles the 123 @ $ 352.00 US. Anyone on this side of the pond?
Brian

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just went back and read my original questions and perhaps I was not clear enough. I was asking about the Centerline / IAP electronic distributors. Sometimes the fingers don't always relay what the mind is thinking. Sorry for any confusion.
Brian

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
So gigem, then you are saying either the Centerline or the IAP electronic distributor has weights and a spring?
I see Classic handles the 123 @ $ 352.00 US. Anyone on this side of the pond?
Brian
IAP has it listed at $419 USD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ken Is that the 123? The discription sounds like it but I don't see that model number anywhere.
Anyone used Centerlines? Fair difference in price.
Brian

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Ken Is that the 123? The discription sounds like it but I don't see that model number anywhere.
Anyone used Centerlines? Fair difference in price.
Brian
As far as I know, I think it is :)
I run a modified engine, so I appreciated being able to try different curves. I got my 123 from Highwood Alfa in England.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My Dad told me once that 'quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten'. The 123 distributors are well made and do the job without any grief. As I said, I have two cars fitted with them and may soon have a third.
Chris

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
The ones other than the 123 are conventional dizzies but with an electronic pick-up instead of points.
I've also done some modifications to my motor, motronics, cams, headers, porting, HP Ingram pump, msd etc and setteled on the RML distributor, a conventional distributor with an electronic trigger for the MSD6AL ignition unit and I run my plug gaps at .050 I am VERY happy with the performance and how everything works together.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is it too simplistic to say that the 123 ignition merely an integral dizzy with built in magnetic pick up and electronics to give various ignition curves and does not possess any spark amplifying/magnifying function?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is it too simplistic to say that the 123 ignition merely an integral dizzy with built in magnetic pick up and electronics to give various ignition curves and does not possess any spark amplifying/magnifying function?
That sounds about right.

Ignition 'curves' are easy to program - they are all linear up to a point, then flat at maximum advance. This is something else I like about the 123 distributors - they are potentially programmable. The trick is to know what curve slope and inflection point you need. Oh yeah, you also need access to the EPROM :)

If you want bigger spark, you'll need some sort of ignition 'module' as well.

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts