Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi;

I pulled my old trashed Dist. for a R&R with a nice new one. Problem is I can't get the clamp/bracket assembly off to put it on the new one.

The bolt and nut are fastened w/o it seems a way for disassembly. The nut is locked in on 2 sides and the bolt doesn't have any slots for a any type of driver (hex, flathead, phillips, etc.). Could always cut a slot in the head but would really like to get this sucker off "normally". I checked IAP and Vick, but this is not an "add-on" piece for purchase.
Had anyone come across this before. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
If I am seeing your photo correctly, your distributor still has its 'tamper-proof' bolt in place. Originally, when assembled at the factory (or I suppose if replaced by a dealer), the bolt would have had a hex head section designed to break off - leaving what then looks like the head of a carriage bolt (but there isn't a square section under the head like a real carriage bolt).

To remove if you will need to cut a slot into it. Replace it with a standard bolt.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dizzy

Thanks Eric;

Yea this looks real strange and as you said I will have to cut a slot and get it off that way.
Man I was all "psyched" to put the new dizzy in and get rolling. BTW Vickauto does sell this unit by Bosch new and NO core charge.

Thanks, Steve

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
If you can remove the nut and get the bolt out, the 'jaws' will spread open and you can fairly easily remove the collar, and transplant it to the new one. I added some shim stock to help tighten up a loose jaw fitting.
Mine does not have the "tamper proof" bolt and nut.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok was able to use vice-grips on the bolt and finally get the clamp off. However I did remember exactly the position off the old dizzy and put the clamp on my new dizzy with a new (sloted) bolt and nut.

My rotor position wasn't TDC but was in the same position as the removed one, about 180 degrees different from the "mark" for TDC. Put new dizzy in as per same position as old along with cap and wires.
Fired 'er up and it ran/idled like a champ :) Took it out and ran her through the paces for over a 1/2 hour w/o any "hiccup".

Ok now onto the next issue(s).....:rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts